Jan 6, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Houston has suspended White immediately, and this is a situation that seems like it gets worse before it gets better.
Here’s the official statement from Rockets GM Daryl Morey, via Mark Berman of MyFoxHouson.com:
“The Houston Rockets have suspended Royce White immediately for refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract. We will continue to work with Royce to hopefully come to a resolution.”
The resolution is to part ways with White altogether, as it’s clear by his actions that he has no interest in going through the necessary steps to play professional basketball at the NBA level.
That won’t happen anytime soon, of course. White was selected with the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft, and first round picks are valuable assets that teams don’t give up on without exploring every reasonable possibility.
White has a well-publicized anxiety disorder that he has been open about from the very start of his journey into the NBA, but has seemed more interested in being combative than cooperative with the Rockets organization.
We don’t know all the details of the dealings between White and the Rockets, but we do know that basketball is a business, and it would make sense for Houston to do everything in its power to get White ready to contribute as soon as possible.
Until White gives a little on his end, however, there won’t be a resolution to the differences between the two sides anytime soon.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24