Jan 6, 2013, 11:28 AM EDT
Houston has suspended White immediately, and this is a situation that seems like it gets worse before it gets better.
Here’s the official statement from Rockets GM Daryl Morey, via Mark Berman of MyFoxHouson.com:
“The Houston Rockets have suspended Royce White immediately for refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract. We will continue to work with Royce to hopefully come to a resolution.”
The resolution is to part ways with White altogether, as it’s clear by his actions that he has no interest in going through the necessary steps to play professional basketball at the NBA level.
That won’t happen anytime soon, of course. White was selected with the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft, and first round picks are valuable assets that teams don’t give up on without exploring every reasonable possibility.
White has a well-publicized anxiety disorder that he has been open about from the very start of his journey into the NBA, but has seemed more interested in being combative than cooperative with the Rockets organization.
We don’t know all the details of the dealings between White and the Rockets, but we do know that basketball is a business, and it would make sense for Houston to do everything in its power to get White ready to contribute as soon as possible.
Until White gives a little on his end, however, there won’t be a resolution to the differences between the two sides anytime soon.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 12
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 9
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (100)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'