Jan 6, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
The Celtics waived Jarvis Varnado and rookie Kris Joseph on Sunday, which in itself is unremarkable news.
Varnado was expected to be gone before his contract became guaranteed on Jan. 10, but the team parting ways with Joseph was a bit of a surprise, considering the positive view it was believed to have of the player selected by Boston with the 51st pick in the 2012 draft.
As part of the bigger picture, these moves — especially the one involving Joseph — may be the beginning of something bigger on the horizon for the Celtics organization.
Specifically, Boston is believed to be clearing roster spots in order to have flexibility in the event a multi-player deal is available to them later this season.
Two league sources contacted on Sunday said that the Celtics will look to bolster their roster via a multi-player trade.
While it’s unlikely the Celtics will look to move any member of their big Three – Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett – league sources confirmed that there’s “growing” interest in Courtney Lee who might become more expendable with the return of Avery Bradley.
Brandon Bass is another possible Celtic on the move, one league source said.
We know that Danny Ainge isn’t afraid to shake things up midseason; look no further than the deal that sent Kendrick Perkins out of town just two seasons ago. He’d certainly do so again, especially if one of the players he had to give up this time wasn’t an emotional part of the team’s puzzle the way Perkins was.
Boston has shown flashes this season, even if only in a relatively few instances. The team’s most recent win over the Hawks in Atlanta was certainly an example of that, where the Celtics put together a 33-9 third quarter to erase a 15-point halftime deficit.
The Celtics are believed to have the tenacity within their veteran core to compete in a playoff series against even the top teams, despite their 16-17 record and current position holding down the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.
If Ainge believes that a deal for one or two pieces could be enough to give Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce another run at postseason glory, he won’t hesitate to pull the trigger. These moves may be the first step in making that happen.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7