Jan 6, 2013, 12:59 AM EDT
The officiating in the Mavericks overtime loss to the Hornets on Saturday night was wildly inconsistent. It went both ways, but there were muggings that went uncalled and touch fouls called the next time down the court.
All this came after a Dallas overtime loss to Miami this week where the Mavericks were frustrated with a number of calls, particularly an out of bounds play.
Which led Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to tweet:
Im sorry NBA fans. Ive tried for 13 yrs to fix the officiating in this league and I have failed miserably. Any Suggestions ? I need help
— Mark Cuban (@mcuban) January 6, 2013
Cuban earlier in the night said he sent film from the Dallas/Miami game to the league office but slapped the office around in the process. From ESPNDallas.com.
“Let’s just say I thought there was a misapplication of the rules when they didn’t review the out of bounds with 1:45 to go,” Cuban said. “At least from the replay on TV, it looked like Wade hit it. I would have thrown the challenge flag on that one….
“I will tell you this: We used to turn plays in all the time,” said Cuban, who did complain to the NBA office about the out-of-bounds play. “We don’t do it anymore. I just turned it in because I was mad, but it’s just not worth the time. You know the definition of insanity.”
Cuban might as well start filling out the check to the league now.
But he speaks for a lot of fans who become frustrated with the league on officiating. There is a feeling that it’s not transparent, that officials are not held accountable for bad calls and that they have biases.
Fans are always going to feel that way about the refs in any sport, and every time they don’t get a call they will say the refs are biased (if the call went the other way on that boarder line charge/block the ref clearly just saw it right). But transparency, that’s a place the league could do better. They have started to, and it’s not going to change minds, but they need to do more.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4