Jan 5, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
And by shocking, we mean surprising that this is something that needs to be reported at all.
It hasn’t been all that long since Dwight Howard spent an entire season holding the Orlando Magic hostage, taking a relative eternity to decide whether he should stay or go elsewhere.
Howard had the option of simply letting free agency take its course, but instead opted in for the final year of his contract late last season, before changing his mind once again and forcing his way out of town.
The fences haven’t come close to being mended between Howard and the Magic organization, who fired its head coach and general manager as a result of last season’s fiasco, and possibly did so to placate Howard in a last-ditch effort to convince him to stay.
All drama aside, the fact remains that Howard will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. It’s safe to say things haven’t gone as planned in Los Angeles thus far, so Howard may in fact be in play when many believed that signing long-term with the Lakers was a foregone conclusion.
In case you had any doubt, the Magic won’t be one of the teams lining up to court the All-Star big man for his services.
The Orlando Magic won’t attempt to convince Dwight Howard to rejoin their team when Howard becomes a free agent in July, an NBA source with knowledge of the Magic’s thinking told the Orlando Sentinel.
Magic officials are said to believe it’s too soon to try to bring back Howard after the acrimonious eight months between his Dec. 2011 trade request and the deal that sent him to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Although no one believed Orlando would get in business with Howard ever again after what he pulled last year, this report makes it somewhat official.
As if there was any doubt.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61