Jan 5, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
More bad news on the injury front for a Timberwolves team that has had more than its fair share.
Kevin Love underwent an MRI on Saturday, which revealed a re-fracture of the third metacarpal on his right hand, the team announced. The injury occurred during the third quarter of Minnesota’s win in Denver on Thursday. X-rays were negative, but Love did not return.
Love will be examined by a specialist in New York later this week, and an update will be provided at that time, according to the official release.
Love had already been ruled out of Saturday’s contest against the Blazers, along with Ricky Rubio, who has missed the last three games due to back spasms. The back injury may be a complication of Rubio attempting to overcompensate for the knee injury he’s recovering from, as it came on recently after Rubio played just five games this season before being forced to sit once again.
Minnesota is right there in the hunt for a playoff spot, sitting just a half-game back of Portland and Denver for one of the final two seeds in the West.
That makes the timing of the announcement particularly troubling for the Timberwolves, as they get set to host the Trail Blazers on Saturday.
Love has averaged 18.3 points and 14 rebounds per game in 34.3 minutes of action, while appearing in 18 games for the Timberwolves this season.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)