Jan 5, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
More bad news on the injury front for a Timberwolves team that has had more than its fair share.
Kevin Love underwent an MRI on Saturday, which revealed a re-fracture of the third metacarpal on his right hand, the team announced. The injury occurred during the third quarter of Minnesota’s win in Denver on Thursday. X-rays were negative, but Love did not return.
Love will be examined by a specialist in New York later this week, and an update will be provided at that time, according to the official release.
Love had already been ruled out of Saturday’s contest against the Blazers, along with Ricky Rubio, who has missed the last three games due to back spasms. The back injury may be a complication of Rubio attempting to overcompensate for the knee injury he’s recovering from, as it came on recently after Rubio played just five games this season before being forced to sit once again.
Minnesota is right there in the hunt for a playoff spot, sitting just a half-game back of Portland and Denver for one of the final two seeds in the West.
That makes the timing of the announcement particularly troubling for the Timberwolves, as they get set to host the Trail Blazers on Saturday.
Love has averaged 18.3 points and 14 rebounds per game in 34.3 minutes of action, while appearing in 18 games for the Timberwolves this season.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 41
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8