Garnett ejected after foul to Hansbrough’s face (VIDEO)

Jan 5, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett is going to get a fine for that. Fines come with every ejection for a flagrant-two foul.

But that was not a dirty or intentional foul, it was incidental. Tyler Hansbrough’s face probably didn’t think it was so incidental, but KG clearly didn’t mean to do that and said so to CSNNE.com’s Jessica Cammerato after the game.

“I was firm,” said Garnett following the game. “I didn’t mean to get him in the face like that. I was actually trying to swipe the ball, but it was a physical game and they called it the way it was. Part of the game.”

The Celtics were up by 23 when the foul occurred and KG’s ejection was not going to change the trajectory of the blowout win for Boston. The kind of win against another Eastern Conference playoff team that Boston needed, by the way.

That will take some of the sting out of the check KG is about to write.

1. goraidersgospurs - Jan 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Man I understand not hurting your team but man Hansbrough, I couldt have walked away after that!!!

• saint1997 - Jan 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM

really? you would have fought Kevin Garnett? haha riiiight

• goraidersgospurs - Jan 7, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Sure why not, Man up dude!!!

• saint1997 - Jan 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I might sit that one out, you can go it though!

2. dko83 - Jan 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Must be something about Hansbrough that just makes make you want to hit him in the face. Seems like this happens to him a lot. Well, I can only think of his bloody face in college when I say that.

3. somekat - Jan 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I don’t get the whole “he didn’t mean to hit Hansborough’s face” thing. Who cares? He intentionally chopped down, clearly, if he didn’t hit where he wanted to hit (I assume the ball, but I don’t give him as much leeway as Kurt to say he “clearly” did that), than it is his fault. Should be fined, and suspsended IMO

4. gepsep - Jan 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Come on man! You can clearly see that he wasn’t rtrying to intentionally trying to hit him in the face, no matter how he probably would like to do it!
    Just leave this alone!

• valiantdraws - Jan 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yeah! Clearly! Leave! It! Alone!

By the way! Why all the exclamation points?!

• gepsep - Jan 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Keyboard broken…

5. knp37 - Jan 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Typical celtics announcers that say “collided” when hansbrough gets slapped silly across the face.

6. michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

You missed the best part where Tommy Heinsohn yells, “OH NOW THAT IS NOT A FOUL! THAT IS NOT A FOUL TERRIBLE CALL BY THE OFFICIAL!!”

• scalfor3 - Jan 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Tommy: “Do you think thats a flagrant?”
      Mike Gorman: “Yes, I think that was a flagrant foul”
      Tommy: “I HATE YOU”

I

7. protectthishouse54 - Jan 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Maybe he wasn’t trying to hit him in the face, but he probably didn’t care if he did. Another chump move by the great KG.

• andyhr17 - Jan 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM

So if he wasn’t trying to hit him, it’s still a chump move? Not a biased comment at all.

• bozosforall - Jan 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM

What a hypocrite. EVERT comment that a Boston fan makes is biased. Biggest crybabies on the planet.

• andyhr17 - Jan 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Says the Lakers fan commenting on a Celtics post….

8. charlutes - Jan 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Step out of your media shoes and ignore the fact that ur job is to pretend that sports are important. What does it matter what Boston does? They have 0 chance of winning a ring until they blow up the team and build it back up from scratch. Fact. So who cares if they win a game here or there, or make the playoffs, or lose the next 20. This win against another playoff team will do nothing but create the perception that the Celtics are actually relevant, mostly because dumb people believe the hype that u type.

• scalfor3 - Jan 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You sound like you are illiterate. Fact.

• jonrox - Jan 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM

You what?

• andyhr17 - Jan 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

You’re right. They should just eliminate about 28 NBA teams a season because it’s a proven fact that the NBA finals are set before the season starts. All these games are just a waste. Just hand the Heat the title again, right?

You’re an idiot.

• badintent - Jan 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Not to worry about the thumb downs, they are from manic depressed Boston Red Sox fans. Send them Porzac for a stocking stuffer.

• infectorman - Jan 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

“Porzac”? Some new drug to help with chronic idiocy?
        Get yourself a script intent

• badintent - Jan 7, 2013 at 3:26 AM

@infectorman
        You’re right, I shouldn’t try to eat boston clam chowder and type at the same time, those damn shells………………………..Prozac,tequila,ice and strawberries, Tommy Heinsohn’s hair of the dog

9. nycalldayz - Jan 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Tyler Hansbrough of all shouldn’t complain about hard fouls. He’s notorious for hacking hard. It was a hard foul, but should of been no more than a flagrant 1. It’s KG so everyone is going to overreact.

• tubal22 - Jan 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

where did he complain?

10. mazblast - Jan 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

It didn’t look to me as if KG was going for the ball at all. Notice that he didn’t seem to complain after he was ejected, not one bit of, “don’t you know who I AM?”

11. gepsep - Jan 6, 2013 at 6:19 AM

It is funny how people push Thumbs Down not because they dont like the comment but because they dont like the team

12. charlutes - Jan 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM

The responses to my comment make no sense. The first guy calls me illiterate, but doesn’t address any actual points. The second guy assumes I think the season is irrelevant. What I said is that Boston needs to blow up their team to have any hope of competing for a championship. I’d be happy to take wagers from anyone who disagrees with that. I said nothing of the Heat, but in response, I don’t think they are the best team in the NBA, and I don’t think the Heat win it this year. OKC’s year in my opinion.

13. canehouse - Jan 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Common Thug!!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches