Jan 4, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
The bottom line has not changed — if Phil Jackson wants to be the next coach of the Brooklyn Nets, he can be.
But the timetable seems to have slowed down, reports Howard Beck at the New York Times. From the first days after Avery Johnson was fired the Nets said they were not going to treat the coaching search like the Lakers did and find someone fast. They said they wanted to take their time.
They trust interim coach P.J. Carlesimo enough to do that, Beck reports.
(The Nets) will woo Jackson whenever he is ready to be wooed, whether now or this summer.
They will happily stick with Carlesimo as the interim coach for the duration of the season, and perhaps even beyond, depending on the results.
The Nets and Jackson have not yet had any formal contact, Beck notes.
Jackson prefers to be deliberate with his decisions; he would not rush into a job. In particular that make sense because you can’t really implement the triangle offense on the fly during the regular season. Waiting until this summer makes sense.
What Jackson needs to decide is now much this roster can be tweaked — as of now the top end for this roster would be 50 wins and out in the second round of the playoffs. Does Jackson like this roster and can it be improved to both become more talented and better fir his system.
There are a lot of questions. And we shouldn’t expect any fast answers s
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43