Jan 4, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
Over the next week a lot of guys currently on NBA rosters are going to get waived.
Next Thursday is the deadline — if you have been on an NBA roster since training camp by next Tuesday your contract is guaranteed through the end of the season. Teams are going to start waiving guys who aren’t playing (and aren’t developing fast enough) to save a few dollars.
The New Orleans Hornets started that by setting Dominic McGuire free on Friday. Marc Stein of ESPN first reported that it was going to happen and now multiple sources confirm that the ax has dropped.
McGuire, a forward out of Fresno, has bounced around the NBA for five years and played just nine games for the Hornets this season. He started the season with the Raptors where he actually started nine games before they decided to let him go.
Look for a lot of guys to get waived (and a few of them to get picked back up) in the next six days.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8