Jan 4, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
Over the next week a lot of guys currently on NBA rosters are going to get waived.
Next Thursday is the deadline — if you have been on an NBA roster since training camp by next Tuesday your contract is guaranteed through the end of the season. Teams are going to start waiving guys who aren’t playing (and aren’t developing fast enough) to save a few dollars.
The New Orleans Hornets started that by setting Dominic McGuire free on Friday. Marc Stein of ESPN first reported that it was going to happen and now multiple sources confirm that the ax has dropped.
McGuire, a forward out of Fresno, has bounced around the NBA for five years and played just nine games for the Hornets this season. He started the season with the Raptors where he actually started nine games before they decided to let him go.
Look for a lot of guys to get waived (and a few of them to get picked back up) in the next six days.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13