Jan 4, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Over the next week a lot of guys currently on NBA rosters are going to get waived.
Next Thursday is the deadline — if you have been on an NBA roster since training camp by next Tuesday your contract is guaranteed through the end of the season. Teams are going to start waiving guys who aren’t playing (and aren’t developing fast enough) to save a few dollars.
The New Orleans Hornets started that by setting Dominic McGuire free on Friday. Marc Stein of ESPN first reported that it was going to happen and now multiple sources confirm that the ax has dropped.
McGuire, a forward out of Fresno, has bounced around the NBA for five years and played just nine games for the Hornets this season. He started the season with the Raptors where he actually started nine games before they decided to let him go.
Look for a lot of guys to get waived (and a few of them to get picked back up) in the next six days.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12