Jan 4, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Boston is struggling. The Celtics have lost four in a row and eight out of their last 10. They look like a team that is going to have to fight just to make the playoffs. It’s a big disappointment.
What is Celtics GM Danny Ainge going to do about it?
Nothing. For now. That’s what he said, via CSNNE.com.
“Well I think our team is not playing well, obviously, but I see some good signs,” Ainge told WEEI on Thursday. “I thought (the Wednesday night loss to Memphis) was a step forward. We don’t have moral victories, but I thought our effort was better. We’re still out of sync offensively. I think defensively has been the biggest problem throughout the course of the year, but last night I think our problems came more with the halfcourt offense.”
So, it’s a step forward when you’re bad on only one end of the court? I guess.
But Ainge is not looking to shake up the roster just to shake up the roster. He wants to be patient.
“We’re just looking at what we’re capable of becoming,” Ainge said. “I think we haven’t found the right pieces. I think that Doc is probably going to tweak the lineup again and try to do some things different. We’ll just try to be patient with this team as long as we can.”
A panic move is almost never a smart move. If Boston is going to make a trade they need to find the right one so being patient is the right strategy.
Maybe with the return of Avery Bradley it will take some defensive pressure off Rajon Rondo, which will improve Rondo’s offensive play and things will start to look better. But even with that, this team looks a long way away from the level of play we saw from Boston in the playoffs last year, and it’s not clear if this roster can ever get back to that level.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11