Spurs forward Stephen Jackson trips on courtside waitress, leaves with injury (VIDEO)

Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 PM EST

stephen-jackson-spurs

Well, this was bizarre. Stephen Jackson was spotting up in the corner for a 3-point attempt against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden tonight, and after his shot attempt, he suddenly crumpled to a heap as play went the other way. Why?

Because a courtside waitress that was serving New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg accidentally tripped him. You can’t make this stuff up.

Jackson hobbled off the court after the Spurs were forced to call a timeout, and then the replays revealed the culprit. This was stranger than fiction to be sure, but also a little reminiscent of an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where Larry David gets a courtside seat and trips Shaquille O’Neal.

Remember our New Year’s resolution post? I yelled about moving the photographers back from the baselines to prevent injury. Guess I should have included waitresses taking the orders of city Mayors on that list as well.

As for Jackson? He left the game with a right ankle injury, and will not return. Here’s the bizarre clip of the incident, courtesy of Ben Golliver at SI.com:

1. monkeyhateclean - Jan 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

If I were a conscientious NBA owner, who truly understood the value of my investment, the first 2 rows of my arena would have ZERO SEATING, and in its place, padded material. The baseline would have ZERO PHOTOGS, and in its place padded material. My millionaire season-ticket holders would never have a drink spilt on them, and the idiotic photogs might realize that in the era of HD, no one cares about their terrible photographs.

Players on both teams would be more willing to risk diving to the sidelines to save a possession, knowing that my padding was there to protect them. And to make up for any lost front-court revenue, I’d simply add $5 to every other ticket sold, and black out any game that didn’t sell 99% of my tickets. After enough years, this would help me move my team out of terrible NBA cities like San Antonio. Texas has about 10 NBA teams, time to move the Spurs somewhere else!

• diehardcubbiefan4life - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I agree with the first paragraph…then you kinda went off

• fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I hate when the game is being played and you see all these people strolling back
      to their court side seats smiling and posing for the cameras with no regard for the
      distraction, I ‘am surprised these injuries don’t occur more often.
      The Kardashians , JayZ and his wife are guilty of this.

I wish he would have spilled the drinks all over Bloomy……………….
      I wonder if they were 16oz drinks, that’s against the law, Bloomy…………………..

• skids003 - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM

You are right, Bloomy is a joke, he bought his position. He’s a clueless moron out for himself and his stupid agendas anyway.

2. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

you sound like you’d be a better owner of a mental institution than an nba franchise owner.

3. itsonlyaspeedbump - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

‘tell stef jaksin he aint bout dis life.’

courtside waitress

• dko83 - Jan 4, 2013 at 4:49 AM

This is great.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

after the game Jackson said next time he will go in that waitresses mouth.

• rjlink1 - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

She doin 2 much

4. 13arod - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

hope the mayor apolyges to him and hopefully the waitles is okay to this is why there should be a samall fence sepreting court side seating and the basketball court

5. thundersandpackers - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

how is he suppose to fight ibaka when a waitress knocked his ass out of the game. flagrant 2 on the waitress.

6. jhuck92 - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

only 3 minutes off the bench, and she was checking him better than the knicks with her back turned!

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Stephen Jackson commented after the game that fans have no business being on the floor, and players have no business being in the stands. Well, at least he said that fans shouldn’t be on the floor.

Seriously though, the league has to move everyone back. Freaking University of Florida got a 15 yard penalty the other night for guys standing “on the white” . Ridiculous call, but the rule is good.

8. borderline1988 - Jan 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

These incidents are relatively rare (how often does a guy actually get seriously injured b/c of a fan in the stands?), and consideirng how much Bloomberg probably paid for those seats….I doubt owners will take on this suggestion unless they’re forced to.

9. dexterismyhero - Jan 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

just put side boards up like hockey and make them wear helmets!!!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches