Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Well, this was bizarre. Stephen Jackson was spotting up in the corner for a 3-point attempt against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden tonight, and after his shot attempt, he suddenly crumpled to a heap as play went the other way. Why?
Because a courtside waitress that was serving New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg accidentally tripped him. You can’t make this stuff up.
Jackson hobbled off the court after the Spurs were forced to call a timeout, and then the replays revealed the culprit. This was stranger than fiction to be sure, but also a little reminiscent of an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where Larry David gets a courtside seat and trips Shaquille O’Neal.
Remember our New Year’s resolution post? I yelled about moving the photographers back from the baselines to prevent injury. Guess I should have included waitresses taking the orders of city Mayors on that list as well.
As for Jackson? He left the game with a right ankle injury, and will not return. Here’s the bizarre clip of the incident, courtesy of Ben Golliver at SI.com:
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 27
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6