Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 PM EST
Well, this was bizarre. Stephen Jackson was spotting up in the corner for a 3-point attempt against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden tonight, and after his shot attempt, he suddenly crumpled to a heap as play went the other way. Why?
Because a courtside waitress that was serving New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg accidentally tripped him. You can’t make this stuff up.
Jackson hobbled off the court after the Spurs were forced to call a timeout, and then the replays revealed the culprit. This was stranger than fiction to be sure, but also a little reminiscent of an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where Larry David gets a courtside seat and trips Shaquille O’Neal.
Remember our New Year’s resolution post? I yelled about moving the photographers back from the baselines to prevent injury. Guess I should have included waitresses taking the orders of city Mayors on that list as well.
As for Jackson? He left the game with a right ankle injury, and will not return. Here’s the bizarre clip of the incident, courtesy of Ben Golliver at SI.com:
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28