Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Well, this was bizarre. Stephen Jackson was spotting up in the corner for a 3-point attempt against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden tonight, and after his shot attempt, he suddenly crumpled to a heap as play went the other way. Why?
Because a courtside waitress that was serving New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg accidentally tripped him. You can’t make this stuff up.
Jackson hobbled off the court after the Spurs were forced to call a timeout, and then the replays revealed the culprit. This was stranger than fiction to be sure, but also a little reminiscent of an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where Larry David gets a courtside seat and trips Shaquille O’Neal.
Remember our New Year’s resolution post? I yelled about moving the photographers back from the baselines to prevent injury. Guess I should have included waitresses taking the orders of city Mayors on that list as well.
As for Jackson? He left the game with a right ankle injury, and will not return. Here’s the bizarre clip of the incident, courtesy of Ben Golliver at SI.com:
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49