Jan 3, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
Well, this was bizarre. Stephen Jackson was spotting up in the corner for a 3-point attempt against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden tonight, and after his shot attempt, he suddenly crumpled to a heap as play went the other way. Why?
Because a courtside waitress that was serving New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg accidentally tripped him. You can’t make this stuff up.
Jackson hobbled off the court after the Spurs were forced to call a timeout, and then the replays revealed the culprit. This was stranger than fiction to be sure, but also a little reminiscent of an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where Larry David gets a courtside seat and trips Shaquille O’Neal.
Remember our New Year’s resolution post? I yelled about moving the photographers back from the baselines to prevent injury. Guess I should have included waitresses taking the orders of city Mayors on that list as well.
As for Jackson? He left the game with a right ankle injury, and will not return. Here’s the bizarre clip of the incident, courtesy of Ben Golliver at SI.com:
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 6
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 36
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 6