Rondo frustrated not enough “sore losers” on Celtics

Jan 3, 2013, 4:22 PM EST

Boston Celtics' Rondo drives to the basket between Memphis Grizzlies' Allen and Gasol during their NBA basketball game in Boston Reuters

You’ve already seen the numbers — the Boston Celtics have lost four in a row and eight out of their last 10. They are 14-17 on the season now and look like a team that will be struggling with Philadelphia and Brooklyn and Milwaukee just to make the playoffs, not pushing the Heat at the upper end of the standings.

And there’s been a lot of talk about why — their defense has struggled, their offense has struggled, because the offense has struggled the defense has struggled, and many more.

Rajon Rondo told the Boston Globe part of the problem is guys are not frustrated enough by all the losing.

“The frustrating part is just losing,” he said. “I’m a sore loser. It’s tough to lose….

“Everybody isn’t,” he said. “You’ll learn that everybody isn’t a sore loser. Some teams are OK with losing. Some guys are OK with just getting a check. But everything I do, I compete. So, this four-game losing streak is frustrating.”

Rondo wouldn’t name names (nor would that help the situation) but he has thrown down the gauntlet.

It’s now up to Rondo, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to both lead by example and pull their teammates up to a higher level. How high a level the Celtics can reach is up for debate, but it’s certainly higher than 14-17.

1. ebrownwareagle - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I understand Rondo! Because I too HATE Losing MORE than I LOVE to WIN!

• 00maltliquor - Jan 4, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Man…that’s real.

+100 thumbs if I could.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM

winners never lose and losers never win………..

how you like that one, now gimmie money…………..

2. dko83 - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

My favorite player.

3. somekat - Jan 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Just another instance of the C’s using some bull to get themselves up. It will only last for a game or two. Just like when Doc called them soft. A game or two, they’ll play better, than it will be same old, same old

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jan 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Celtics have a whole lot of 2012 New York Jet stink on them, don’t they?

5. supremekingz - Jan 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM

You are what your record says you are

6. paulhargis53 - Jan 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It’s cute that Heat fans are still concerned about this supposed team that doesn’t matter. Why are you concerned?

It’s like you’re afraid of them…

• andyhr17 - Jan 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

It’s funny how their biggest insult to the Celtics is that they are just soooo old, when in fact the average age of the Heat is 29.2 yrs vs. the Celtics 27.9. Last time I checked 3 out of the 4 starters for the Celtics were quite young.

• eventhorizon04 - Jan 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The biggest insult to the Celtics is that they’re a 9th seed in the weak Eastern Conference.

• andyhr17 - Jan 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Last time I checked the playoffs didn’t start the first week of January. While I’m not nearly as confident as I was last season, they still have time to turn it around like they have in the past.

7. bozosforall - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

The hypocrisy of Pudhummer53 and his boyfriend sandycrotchho17 is beyond hilarious here. Pudhummer’s jealousy of the Lakers multiple recent successes only fuels his immense fear of the superior Los Angeles franchise, while sandycrotchho17 just continues to babble incoherently with a continuous mouthful of manjuice.

• andyhr17 - Jan 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Recent success? You are always talking about how the past doesn’t matter when it comes to the Celtics. Let’s talk about the Lakers recent success. Last year they were knocked out in the second round. The year before they were knocked out in the second round. This year they are sitting a game under .500, one game better than the Celtics, and not in a playoff spot. Their recent successes don’t look so successful.

you also don’t know what hypocrisy means.

• loungefly74 - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

funny how you go back just 2 years…

5 years…is “recent success”. that is a general rule of thumb in sports (for so many reasons…if you think its sooner, well, not sure what to tell ya…ADHD, maybe? kidding. anyway…) the point is…you don’t say “ahhh…your team sucks…(some time passes and said team wins title)…ahhh…your team won but so what, the season is over…ahhh…your team wont win again…ahhhh! really? how about some respect and acknowledging the team’s success? sheesh.

so…5 years…the Lakers went to 3 finals. that is pretty freaking good, dude. 2 titles back-to-back? awesome. now…the C’s won 5 years ago. so (i’ve mentioned it a few times before) they have this year…but after that, its back to clawing their way to the top. this also gives the Mavs “some room” and the Heat. so yeah…the Lakers have had major recent success.

• bozosforall - Jan 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FIVE titles in this millenium…to one measly bought title for the Puh C’s. I’ll take the Lakers every time.

• andyhr17 - Jan 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Really, Bozo? What exactly did the Lakers five up for Gasol?

8. lakerluver - Jan 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM

@bozosforall….I’ve been away for a few weeks but nothing has changed…you’re still knocking chumps out and taking names!! I sure wish the LAKERS could’ve gotten Rondo for Pau before we got Nash. Rondo and Kobe would’ve been the nastiest backcourt in the league.

9. lakerluver - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

@andyhr17, currently both the LAKERS and the Celtics stink. However, the LAKERS have had way more recent success than the Celtics. For you to suggest otherwise is just plain delusional. Boston went over twenty years between titles. In that same span his many did the LAKERS win? Except for one Celtic fan on this site who shall remain nameless (ph53), the rest of us weren’t even born yet when they won the majority of their titles. It’s time to let go of the past, sir.

10. lakerluver - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Oh, and one more thing…Miami’s best players are in their prime. Boston’s best are past their prime. Big difference.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 4, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Where the hell have you been!!? Welcome home!

11. paulhargis53 - Jan 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

bozo/lakerluver:

You know LL, I told myself and others that when you came back, I’d leave you alone, as long as you didn’t poke the bear.
    You just can’t do it, you have to be THAT guy.
    I find it humorous that you created bozo, a guy who essentially does what I do to you(only not as good, or funny) and praise him for “knocking chumps and taking names.” Your alter ego is a pathetic ripoff. You ought to retire it.

Your inane argument of how many titles and when they were won is idiotic. They either count or they don’t. 17>16. Hell 5 of the lakers titles were won in Minnesota, by your logic, those shouldn’t count for LA. 17>12.
    3 years is ancient history in the sportsworld sausage wallet, get over it.
    As I’ve stated, I’m not 53, nor was I born in that year. I’m 2 years older than you.
    I just appreciate and have knowledge of the past NBA. Remember when I had to teach you all about Jerry West? A player on your own lakers team?
    1 more thing, Rondo is the Celtics best player and he’s 26.

I’m telling you now, no one on here wants to see us go back and forth again. I’m giving you the chance to walk away from this. Be a man and don’t include me in any of your posts- be it your LL account or your bozo account.
    I was willing to just let you be, which is why I welcomed you back. If you refuse, I will run you off of this site like last time.
    It’s up to you.

• miguel3557 - Jan 5, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Your chest beating is obnoxious.

12. lakerluver - Jan 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Bring it, ph53, you’re not on my level!!!

• miguel3557 - Jan 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM

D’ya think you guys could actually talk about basketball instead of whose ‘nads are bigger.

13. paulhargis53 - Jan 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Christ LL. I know I’m not. I’d have to drop about 25 levels to get to your area of expertise on basketball.

Hell, if you don’t.mind me.making you look like a horse’s a$$ under both your screen names, I’m game.
    What a glutton for punishment you are.

14. 00maltliquor - Jan 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM

PH53:
    I’m telling you now, no one on here wants to see us go back and forth again.

I know I’m probably alone on this one here (I gotta be), but I DO!
    LOL!!

Yessss! It’s back on again! I want carnage! Gladiator, fight to the death type ish! LL, I would say you won about 60-65% of your battles with PH, I want it up to at least 80!!! PH53, I want more cool, random made-up nicknames and insults! May the best man win….

Now…..fight!

15. paulhargis53 - Jan 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

malt: LL, won.65% huh? You’re dumber than he is if you actually think that.

I know you don’t, you’re just trying to protect a fellow laker fan.

Who actually “wins” an internet opinion fight?
    Uff.

• miguel3557 - Jan 5, 2013 at 3:22 AM

PH,

Do you have a Ph.D. in being obnoxious?

16. paulhargis53 - Jan 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Miguel. You’re out of your element.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches