Jan 3, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
Detroit’s Charlie Villanueva doesn’t really get it.
He was ejected with a Flagrant Two foul then was fined $25,000 for the foul he committed on the Kings Isaiah Thomas. Later Thomas called Villanueva a dirty player.
Villanueva both denied that and told the Detroit Free Press he plans to appeal the fine.
“Dirty player? Not at all,” Villanueva said. “He saw an open lane, I tried to block the ball and he’s 4-foot-11, a 100 pounds wet so he looks bad. I’m not a dirty player. I didn’t try to hurt him at all.”
Villanueva said he plans to appeal. Pistons coach Lawrence Frank scoffed at Thomas’ assertion.
As I said when we first posted the video of the ejection, this struck me as a foul on the borderline of worthy of an ejection. It was a hard foul but I didn’t think there was intent to injure.
He can appeal if he wants, but that’s not likely to go anywhere. To remove the fine from a flagrant-two and ejection is to say referees made a mistake with the initial call, and the league is not going to do that here on a borderline call.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars