Jan 3, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Mike James, the veteran guard who has played for 10 NBA teams in a 10-year career, is hoping to make it 11 teams in 11 years with one more comeback.
So at age 37 he is headed to the Texas Legends of the D-League to prove his worth to the Dallas Mavericks, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com.
James arrived in town Thursday with no guarantees from the Mavericks, sources said, but the 37-year-old has been lobbying them to let him audition for a roster spot by playing in a few games with the Legends to prove he can help stabilize their backcourt.
James used the D-League as a springboard to reignite his NBA career last season as well, joining the Erie BayHawks in time for the annual 16-team D-League Showcase last January and getting the call from the Bulls to replace injured Derrick Rose after just one game with Erie.
As of Saturday, NBA teams can start signing players to 10-day contracts, which is when you will start to see more and more D-League call ups.
And when it comes time to add somebody short term, GMs tend to go with what they know and what is safe. For example, a 10-year NBA veteran who gets it. James is going to have to prove he can still be a bench player in the league at 37, but if he can someone will give him a shot.
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 28
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 14
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay