Jan 3, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
Charles Barkley thinks you’re wrong.
Probably about a lot of things, but in this case he’s talking about your All-Star voting. Each and every one of you.
For years the NBA has had the fans vote in the starters for each conference at the All-Star Game — and Barkley thinks you have got it all wrong. As of the most recent released votes both Kevin Garnett and Dwight Howard in the starting lineup. Sir Charles wants to know what are you thinking?
“I don’t think the fans should ever vote is because they just vote for their favorite players,’’ Barkley told WMSF-FM. “I’m a big Kevin Garnett fan. But there’s no way in the world he should be starting the All-Star game right now. And the same way with Dwight Howard. Those fans who have penciled those two guys in (to) start… that’s a travesty to be honest. I like Dwight Howard but he ain’t played like no All-Star this year and Kevin Garnett (the same).’’
Fans do vote for their favorites. Which is fine because the All-Star Game is an exhibition put on for the fans. It’s not a real game. If fans want to see someone play, who cares?
I get what Barkley is saying in the sense there have been better players through the first third of the season than KG and Howard. Garnett has been a step slow this season and is slumping of late. Chris Bosh would get my vote to start ahead of him.
Dwight Howard is clearly not 100 percent following back surgery. Thing is, 80 percent of Howard gives the Lakers 17.3 points and 11.9 rebounds a game, it’s not like he’s a disaster of a choice. Yes you can make a case that Tim Duncan has been playing better and deserves it, but Duncan will happily take the weekend off. Howard is not a disaster of a pick, neither is Garnett.
Besides, it’s an exhibition, let the fans have who they want. Except for Jeremy Lin, stop voting for him. Please.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 2
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 6
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 44
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 30
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25