Jan 3, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
Finally, Fab Melo got a call up to the Boston Celtics. The rookie center out of Syracuse has been with the Maine Red Claws of the D-League working on his game (despite the Celtics need for a big man).
All he had to do to get called back up was walk into a hotel doorway and get a concussion.
Seriously. He did and the Celtics called him up to get the proper treatment, reports Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
Celtics rookie Fab Melo suffered a concussion last weekend after bumping his head on the doorway in his Sioux Falls hotel room while the Maine Red Claws (Melo’s NBA Development League assignment) were in South Dakota for back-to-back games against the Skyforce….
“I still have a little headache,” Melo said. “Sometimes I can’t really focus on something for a long time, that’s it.”
To be fair, Melo is seven feet tall so he does have to duck under doorways… but still. Doc Rivers was having fun with it.
“I think, what did you have? Manny being Manny?” he said, referencing former Boston Red Sox Manny Ramirez. “Five years when Fab’s playing terrific for us here, we’re going to have some Fab being Fab moments. He just took kind of a head start. … Literally.”
Melo’s game needs work — enough so that despite the need for a big man the Celtics have left him in the D-League. He’s a project that is years in the making and the Celtics are a win-now team. They are going the right thing bringing him along slowly… and making sure he’s in a place with taller door frames.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 12
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 20
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42