Jan 3, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
Finally, Fab Melo got a call up to the Boston Celtics. The rookie center out of Syracuse has been with the Maine Red Claws of the D-League working on his game (despite the Celtics need for a big man).
All he had to do to get called back up was walk into a hotel doorway and get a concussion.
Seriously. He did and the Celtics called him up to get the proper treatment, reports Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
Celtics rookie Fab Melo suffered a concussion last weekend after bumping his head on the doorway in his Sioux Falls hotel room while the Maine Red Claws (Melo’s NBA Development League assignment) were in South Dakota for back-to-back games against the Skyforce….
“I still have a little headache,” Melo said. “Sometimes I can’t really focus on something for a long time, that’s it.”
To be fair, Melo is seven feet tall so he does have to duck under doorways… but still. Doc Rivers was having fun with it.
“I think, what did you have? Manny being Manny?” he said, referencing former Boston Red Sox Manny Ramirez. “Five years when Fab’s playing terrific for us here, we’re going to have some Fab being Fab moments. He just took kind of a head start. … Literally.”
Melo’s game needs work — enough so that despite the need for a big man the Celtics have left him in the D-League. He’s a project that is years in the making and the Celtics are a win-now team. They are going the right thing bringing him along slowly… and making sure he’s in a place with taller door frames.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 13
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 6
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)