Jan 3, 2013, 10:20 AM EDT
Finally, Fab Melo got a call up to the Boston Celtics. The rookie center out of Syracuse has been with the Maine Red Claws of the D-League working on his game (despite the Celtics need for a big man).
All he had to do to get called back up was walk into a hotel doorway and get a concussion.
Seriously. He did and the Celtics called him up to get the proper treatment, reports Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
Celtics rookie Fab Melo suffered a concussion last weekend after bumping his head on the doorway in his Sioux Falls hotel room while the Maine Red Claws (Melo’s NBA Development League assignment) were in South Dakota for back-to-back games against the Skyforce….
“I still have a little headache,” Melo said. “Sometimes I can’t really focus on something for a long time, that’s it.”
To be fair, Melo is seven feet tall so he does have to duck under doorways… but still. Doc Rivers was having fun with it.
“I think, what did you have? Manny being Manny?” he said, referencing former Boston Red Sox Manny Ramirez. “Five years when Fab’s playing terrific for us here, we’re going to have some Fab being Fab moments. He just took kind of a head start. … Literally.”
Melo’s game needs work — enough so that despite the need for a big man the Celtics have left him in the D-League. He’s a project that is years in the making and the Celtics are a win-now team. They are going the right thing bringing him along slowly… and making sure he’s in a place with taller door frames.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 1
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 10
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional