Jan 2, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Kevin Durant for NBA Most Improved Player? Over at Sports Illustrated, Rob Mahoney looks at guys who made big strides this season and says the already impressive Durant should be on the list. A more likely MIP candidate is Serge Ibaka.
• Russell Westbrook‘s shot 45.7 percent last season, this season that has fallen off a cliff down to 40.4 percent. Why? Royce Young at Daily Thunder does a great job looking at why Westbrook’s jumper has gone askew.
• In what is a fitting and easy analogy, the Nets new home the Barclay’s Center had a number of bad bolts in it that could have led to serious structural issues.
• Ranking teams on how well and often they shoot the corner three, which is one of the most important shots in basketball. Teams that are really good at it this season include the Heat, Spurs and Knicks, not so coincidentally.
• I’ve never believed that they do, but here is some statistical evidence that those players-only meetings do help teams.
• Pretty soon you’re going to start seeing more and more D-League call ups to the NBA. Here’s a fantastic primer from Mark Deeks on guys to watch for.
• The Hawks’ Larry Drew and the Clippers’ Vinny Del Negro today were named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the Month for December. Del Negro was pretty much a no brainer as his team went 16-0 and didn’t lose a game all month (should Vinny have to share the award with Chris Paul?). The Hawks are playing well this season for Drew and were 10-5 in the month.
• Along those same lines, the Heat’s LeBron James and the Clippers’ Chris Paul have been named Players of the Month by the league. Again this is about as shocking as Democrats and Republicans fighting about anything and everything.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Faried put the hammer down.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
They are that bad because of their defense.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
What is the deal with that shot?
Nov 25, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Understanding what the team is doing and paying good money for tickets are different things.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Philadelphia’s defense really tanked this play
Nov 25, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
This is a sign of how thin the front line pickings are for teams wanting depth.
Marreese Speights on Kendrick Perkins: ‘He thinks he’s a tough guy, but at the end of the day, his game is terrible’
Nov 25, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Thunder center doesn’t take criticism without dishing some of his own
Nov 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
I’m impressed… and a little jealous.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
This has been an issue throughout his career.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
He will be back before the trade deadline, not that he’s that easy to move.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Anthony was forced out of Monday’s game against the Rockets with back spasms.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Pierce loves his fans — especially those from his days with the Celtics.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Can you blame him?
Nov 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Steve Nash also posts a message.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
As a first-year NBA head coach, Blatt will face plenty of scrutiny as Cleveland underachieves.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Lopez was benched for the entire fourth quarter in the team’s latest loss.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
Stoudemire gets creative in taking a shot at the officiating.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
Nov 25, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
Dallas gives up 111 points to a team playing without Roy Hibbert.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:35 AM EST
Not knowing about it and it not being about the Suns retaining Goran are two different things.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 3
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 27
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2