Jan 2, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Kevin Durant for NBA Most Improved Player? Over at Sports Illustrated, Rob Mahoney looks at guys who made big strides this season and says the already impressive Durant should be on the list. A more likely MIP candidate is Serge Ibaka.
• Russell Westbrook‘s shot 45.7 percent last season, this season that has fallen off a cliff down to 40.4 percent. Why? Royce Young at Daily Thunder does a great job looking at why Westbrook’s jumper has gone askew.
• In what is a fitting and easy analogy, the Nets new home the Barclay’s Center had a number of bad bolts in it that could have led to serious structural issues.
• Ranking teams on how well and often they shoot the corner three, which is one of the most important shots in basketball. Teams that are really good at it this season include the Heat, Spurs and Knicks, not so coincidentally.
• I’ve never believed that they do, but here is some statistical evidence that those players-only meetings do help teams.
• Pretty soon you’re going to start seeing more and more D-League call ups to the NBA. Here’s a fantastic primer from Mark Deeks on guys to watch for.
• The Hawks’ Larry Drew and the Clippers’ Vinny Del Negro today were named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the Month for December. Del Negro was pretty much a no brainer as his team went 16-0 and didn’t lose a game all month (should Vinny have to share the award with Chris Paul?). The Hawks are playing well this season for Drew and were 10-5 in the month.
• Along those same lines, the Heat’s LeBron James and the Clippers’ Chris Paul have been named Players of the Month by the league. Again this is about as shocking as Democrats and Republicans fighting about anything and everything.
Sep 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“If he wanted to leave, there’s no reason to talk to him about it,” Rubio said.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Sep 14, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
The celebration was more entertaining than most of the game.
Sep 14, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
With the win the USA is automatically qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Sep 14, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Lots of Paul Pierce and Shaun Livingston, both of whom left Brooklyn this summer in free agency.
Sep 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s a long shot, but he’s at least got his foot in the door somewhere.
Sep 14, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Vonleh will miss all of the preseason, and his new head coach believes that will cost him an early opportunity to enter the rotation.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
It was obvious that Australia threw the game against Angola to try to avoid Team USA in the tournament for as long as possible.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Hayward attended training camp, but didn’t make the final cut to be a part of the 12-man roster.
Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Anthony can thrive in the triangle — if he moves the ball.
Sep 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Serbia looks on paper to be just another speed bump between the USA and gold.
Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Rose has averaged 5.4 points per game on 27.3 percent shooting.
Sep 13, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Grizzlies last team to make a serious run at him.
Sep 13, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Bronze was a quality finish for the defending European champions.
Sep 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Read the entire letter from Atlanta’s new CEO, which details plans on how he intends to change the team culture.
Sep 13, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of Boris Diaw.
Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Anthony was very direct in his assessment of the racially insensitive remarks made by the team’s GM and ownership.
Sep 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Team USA has won its last three games by an average of 31 points.
Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania
Sep 13, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins caught an elbow too, and the teams had to be separated once the game was over.
Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
All kinds of fun.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6