Jan 2, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Is Jrue Holiday an All-Star player?
Holiday wants to be and after he dropped 26 points and 10 assists on the Lakers Tuesday night Steve Nash told the Los Angeles Times he thinks Holiday should be. (Insert your own joke about playing like an All-Star against Steve Nash’s defense here.)
“Obviously they’re a different team with him. We beat them at their place by 20 without him,” Nash said (the margin was actually 13 points in the December meeting, 111-98). “I think he gives them obviously a very talented players but he also makes guys around him better. He makes it more difficult for you to guard [Evan] Turner, [Jason] Richardson and the other guys on the perimeter….
“He’s a terrific player,” Nash said. “He’s an All-Star this year.”
Holiday is having the best year of his career, having to take on a lot more offensive load with Andre Iguodala in the Rockies and Andrew Bynum in a rehab facility (or bowling or wherever). It’s not just that he had to take on more shots, it’s that he’s hitting them at a higher percentage than ever (45.4) and getting to the line more often. He is scoring 17.6 points a game and dishing out 8.9 assists per contest. His PER is a career best 18.7.
But All-Star in the East?
After that who do you put in? I would probably go Kyrie Irving, Monta Ellis and Holiday. But I could be swayed another direction. Is Holiday better than the slumping Deron Williams? What about Raymond Felton (who should be back from his broken finger around the All-Star Game)? Lou Williams has been playing well in Atlanta. Kemba Walker is putting up numbers as a Bobcat.
It’s tight. But Holiday is close. And he got one big endorsement.
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 0
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25