Jan 2, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
UPDATE: 7:28 pm: The Sterling family released this statement (via Eric Pincus of the Los Angeles Times):
“Our son Scott has fought a long and valiant battle against Type 1 Diabetes. His death is a terrible tragedy, the effects of which will be felt forever by our family and all those who knew and loved him.
We sincerely appreciate the warm outpouring of sympathy and support from so many of our dear friends. At this time, we respectfully ask to be afforded the opportunity to mourn this loss in an appropriately private manner.”
David Stern released this statement:
“On behalf of the NBA family, we extend our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to Donald and Shelly Sterling on the loss of their son Scott. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the Sterling family at this most difficult time.”
As a parent, I simply can’t imagine the pain of losing a child. My heart goes out to the Sterlings.
10:22 am: Scott Sterling, the 32-year-old son of Clippers owner and Los Angeles real estate mogul Donald Sterling, has been found dead in the family’s Malibu home, reports NBCLA.com.
Homicide detectives are at a Malibu home Wednesday morning after the discovery of a deceased male identified as 32-year-old Scott Sterling….
A cause of death was not immediately available. The body was discovered just after midnight. A coroner’s van was at the residence early Wednesday.
KTLA News in Los Angeles is reporting the Coroner’s Office told them it appears the death is from a drug overdose, and now the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department is saying they are investigating this as a possible overdose.
Scott Sterling was not directly involved in the Clippers organization. The younger Sterling had run-ins with the law before (Beverly Hills police wanted charges filed against him 12 years ago for shooting a friend but the District Attorney said no), however he had no criminal record.
Our thoughts are with the Sterling family at the time of this loss.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 1
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 84
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9