Jan 2, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
“(Kevin Love is) just like any other stretch 4 in the league…probably a better rebounder but pretty much like every other stretch 4.”
If you want to debate whether Love is really a guy you can build a franchise around, that can be up for discussion. And Love is having a tough stretch coming back from his broken hand — last season he was a valuable in part because he could be a stretch four and hit better than 37 percent of his 5.1 threes a game. But this season he is still gunning from out there despite hitting just 23.3 percent, and that has dragged his shooting down.
But Love is much more than a stretch four. You can ask him or you can ask his gold medal from the London Olympics. First “probably a better rebounder” sells short how good Love is on the offensive glass. What’s more is he is dangerous in the post because he has fantastic footwork (which allows him to get off shots against more athletic defenders) and he is a gifted passer. He is good setting picks out high because he can roll to the hoop or pop out, depending on what the defense does. And we could go on, but I think even his critics would admit that.
All of which is to say, I think you’re selling Love short here, Derrick. And it could come back to bite you when your teams play Wednesday night.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 16
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8