Jan 2, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
“(Kevin Love is) just like any other stretch 4 in the league…probably a better rebounder but pretty much like every other stretch 4.”
If you want to debate whether Love is really a guy you can build a franchise around, that can be up for discussion. And Love is having a tough stretch coming back from his broken hand — last season he was a valuable in part because he could be a stretch four and hit better than 37 percent of his 5.1 threes a game. But this season he is still gunning from out there despite hitting just 23.3 percent, and that has dragged his shooting down.
But Love is much more than a stretch four. You can ask him or you can ask his gold medal from the London Olympics. First “probably a better rebounder” sells short how good Love is on the offensive glass. What’s more is he is dangerous in the post because he has fantastic footwork (which allows him to get off shots against more athletic defenders) and he is a gifted passer. He is good setting picks out high because he can roll to the hoop or pop out, depending on what the defense does. And we could go on, but I think even his critics would admit that.
All of which is to say, I think you’re selling Love short here, Derrick. And it could come back to bite you when your teams play Wednesday night.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15