Jan 2, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
The Utah Jazz have lost Mo Williams for at least six weeks due to a thumb injury that will require surgery, the team announced on Wednesday.
Williams has started all 24 games he’s appeared in this season before suffering the injury back on Dec. 23 during his team’s loss to the Heat.
From the official release:
Following a second magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test and a consultation between Dr. Michelle Carlson and the Utah Jazz medical staff, it was determined that Williams will undergo surgery on his right thumb on Friday, January 4. Following the procedure, his thumb will be placed in a splint for approximately six weeks, at which point he will be re-evaluated. Williams will be able to participate in conditioning and restricted weight training during this time period.
Utah has dropped three straight with Williams sidelined, although the last two came against a Clippers team that was on a 17-game winning streak, so it’s probably a little early to determine the long-term effects of his absence.
Williams has averaged 12.9 points and 6.7 assists per game in 31.4 minutes of action. Jamaal Tinsley has gotten the start in each of the four games Williams has missed.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 22
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 11
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 43
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (82)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay