Jan 2, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
It was as if the Ghost or Losses Past came to visit the Lakers Tuesday night — Philadelphia was more athletic, more aggressive, got big nights from young stars Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner (combined 48 points) and the Lakers looked a step slow. The result was a 103-99 Lakers loss that looked like so many Lakers losses this season. Games where the other team worked harder than the Lakers.
“Cause we’re old as s—,” said the 34-year-old Bryant when asked why a lack of energy has been a problem for L.A. all season. “What do you want? We just got to figure out how to play when we don’t have that energy. We got to change things up a little bit defensively. We got to figure out what we want to do offensively, figure out what we want to do on nights when we don’t have those legs or have that energy.”
Where did the phrase “old as s***” come from anyway? Outside of the people on “Hoarders,” who keeps old excrement around?
Somewhere, the Oklahoma City Thunder and Los Angeles Clippers are sharing a laugh. Those teams would like to remind you that they are young and energetic nightly and will continue to be in the playoffs.
And Kobe was energetic Sunday night — 36 points on 29 shots, grabbing six boards (no assists, but when the guy you pass to misses the shot you don’t get credit). The problem was the inability of the Lakers perimeter defenders to be anything more than an orange traffic cone for Holiday and Turner to dribble around and get a good look (and the Lakers interior defensive rotations were not impressive, to be kind). That and the 3-of-19 combined shooting night by Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol.
The problem is the Lakers are old and are not making up for the lack of spring in their legs with smart play and veteran savvy (see the San Antonio Spurs for an example). I’d say the Lakers aren’t playing their system but I’m not sure what the system is exactly.
And it doesn’t look like there is an easy fix for a Lakers team that can’t get over .500.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50