Jan 1, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
Tuesday night we get to see what the Knicks are really going to look like this season… well, except for the part where Raymond Felton is out and Carmelo Anthony is questionable (with a hyperextended knee).
But Amar’e Stoudemire will be back.
That is what Adrian Wojnarowski reports at Yahoo Sports.
After undergoing preseason knee surgery, New York Knicks All-Star forward Amar’e Stoudemire will make his season debut on Tuesday night against the Portland Trail Blazers, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.
Stoudemire will come off the bench for the Knicks at first and maybe for an extended period of time. Anthony is having his best season as a pro playing the four — Stoudemire’s spot — and coach Mike Woodson doesn’t want to mess with that.
But it becomes his and the Knicks challenge that they need to get Stoudemire, Anthony and Tyson Chandler working well together on the court to really reach their potential.
The Knicks could use the boost this would bring, their offense has slipped in the team’s last five games, in part because they are shooting 33.1 percent from three in that time (compared to earlier in the season when they hit better than 40 percent). Having a scorer like Stoudemire will draw defenses down into the paint to stop him, ideally opening up three point shooters for better looks.
We will see. The real tests for the Knicks start Tuesday.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 9
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 25
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 9
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 103
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut