Jan 1, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Chinese Basketball Association had never had a player suspended for violating its drug policy… until now.
Multiple reports out of China now say former NBA player Marcus Williams has been suspended for testing positive for marijuana use. Hoopshype noticed this first, but here is the report from xinhuanet.com.
Former NBA player Marcus Williams has been tested positive for marijuana to record the first doping case in China’s professional basketball league, the national basketball governing body announced on Monday.
Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) said in a statement that the point guard, playing for Shanxi, was banned for six months and the club was fined 10,000 yuan (about 1,500 U.S. dollars) following his positive test on Dec. 9.
First, we need to point out something Tom Ziller noted at SBN: This is Marcus Williams who played for the Spurs and Clippers out of the University of Arizona (he is not Marcus Williams who played for the Nets and Warriors out of UConn).
This penalty is a lot stiffer than stateside. In the NBA, you have to test positive for marijuana three times to get a suspension and then it is only five games. (You get a five-game suspension immediately for testing positive for steroids, and the penalties are much harsher for cocaine, opiates and pretty much every hard drug you imagine.)
Williams is done for this season in China. He may be playing elsewhere overseas next season.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay