Deron Williams says two years of constant playing may have worn him down

Jan 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EST

Charlotte Bobcats v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Deron Williams was unimpressive Monday against Tony Parker and the Spurs — he was 3-of-11 shooting, finishing with eight points, one assist and he was a -35 in a game the Nets lost by 31.

It really fits with a season where he is shooting 39.9 percent overall, 30 percent from three and has a PER five points below his last season in Utah.

What is going on? Williams has a series of nagging injuries (particularly a wrist injury) and GM Billy King suggested that playing two straight years — going to Turkey during the lockout then winning gold with Team USA at the London Olympics this summer — has taken its toll on his body. Williams basically agreed with that talking to the New York Daily News.

“I didn’t take any time off. After last season, I never stopped working out. After the Olympics, the day I got back I worked out the next morning,” Williams said. “I thought it was the best thing to do, and now looking back, it probably would have been smarter to take some time off and get a little bit of rest, especially on my legs, and my ankles in general.

“I took a lot of pounding over the last year because even though we had a shortened season, I was over in Istanbul, so I haven’t had a break since before then. I felt like I could handle it, and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn’t want to get out of shape. I wanted to just keep going.”

To which a lot of Nets fans, as well as Nets ownership, would say “tough cookies.” (Well, they wouldn’t say cookies but I can’t print the word they would use.)

He chose to play in Turkey and with Team USA. He has a brand new max deal. While maybe the Nets should try and find a way to get him a little rest, Williams is lying in a bed he made.

The Nets are a long ways from good and no coach — not Phil Jackson, not anyone — turns this roster into a contender. But the first job for the new coach, whoever it ends up being, is to get Williams turned around. Good luck with that.

1. starvingardens - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM

What wore Williams down was the fact that he ran a HOF coach out of Utah, that would have watched/had his back as long as he was there. He had a good thing there and messed it up with his hard head and wanting to go to a bigger market. As the saying goes… “You reap what you sow.” (This is coming from a GSW fan btw)

• fanofevilempire - Jan 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

he won’t be getting a rest anytime too soon and wait until he
      starts to get pounded in the papers.

oh boy

• starvingardens - Jan 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Oh… and another thing. Do you think that Prokhorov is now wishing that he saved the amnesty for Williams instead of Travis Outlaw?

2. dysraw1 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

D Will has been going pretty hard over the last two seasons maybe he’ll get second wind down the line but in the mean while some of those other millionairs should plck him up

3. Gordon - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Or maybe he’s just overrated.

4. glstat - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Dwill is a shell of his former self. I used to think he was better than chris paul- I honestly don’t believe he is even a top 5 pg anymore and it was pretty much a joke he made the olympic team over kyrie- at this point in their careers kyrie is overwhelmingly the better player. The nets made a huge mistake trading for the guy in the first place and then an even bigger mistake by trading their 1st rd pick for G.Wallace- instead of having favors/lillard on the cheap they have dwill and wallace taking up half their cap. The nets are a freaking mess- as a cavs fan i know we at least have a ton of assets moving forward. The nets are screwed!

5. doctorfootball - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

There’s probably some validity to the wearing down theory. What I don’t get is the lack of passion and disinterest he shows on and off the court.

6. paintman34 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

So what excuse does LeBron Durant Westbrook Kobe Harden and others that actually PLAYED in the playoffs and the Olympics have?

7. shockexchange - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Another excuse from the Grim Reaper? Two coaches fired and counting …

8. cantonbound13 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

If you want to take time off don’t demand a max contract.

9. cantonbound13 - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM

They should have traded for CP3.

10. mrchainbluelightning - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

So in other words, Deron is admitting he doesn’t have “it”. I mean plenty of other players have gone through the same thing without excuses or drop in play. This guy is certifiable poison.

11. abchome - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Yet another excuse! #shameless

12. Mr. Wright 212 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Overrated. Sure, coach. The true best players in the NBA played in the playoffs AND the Olympics and have better individual AND team seasons. I love this overrated team getting blown up every night. You run NOTHING in this city but laughingstock rights.

13. bandanamac - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM

He’s not doing anything none of the other superstars don’t do year in and year out. Kobe sleeps in the gym and Lebron rides his bike to the arena.

You got paid and you’re tired from hauling the cash from that contract out the Brinks truck. All the Nets are getting from him the next few years are excuses.

14. joshm5683 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM

He thinks hes worn down? What about Kobe when he was in back to back to back finals, along with the world games and then the 08 Olympics? Williams hasn’t had to worry about the post season or deep playoff runs!

Also not to put Williams in the same superstar category as Kobe, but like it was already pointed out, he isn’t doing anything any of the other superstars do and play at a high level.

15. jmclarkent - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

You would think that the 20+ games that he has missed each of the last few years would offer him plenty of time to rest.

16. cranespy - Jan 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Williams is a pariah….he suffers from a severe case of MEsia……two good men cast aside because this jerk wasn’t happy. Package him out of town…..regardless of where he lands he will never lead a team to a championship. Cmon Mikail….he is not THE guy.

17. ah20bloopbloop - Jan 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM

D-Will wasn’t wore down from playing those two years……it’s called Karma.

18. jjordannba - Jan 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Excuses are the tools of the incompetent.

19. edwardemanuelson - Jan 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Yea, like someone else said above… It’s a good thing he hasn’t had the extra 10 or 15 games a season of a deep playoff run to ware his lazy, overpaid, overrated behind out even more. Ego. Me, me, me.

20. charlescub80 - Jan 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Oh I have to use this at work……Hey Boss, I’m not producing because I’ve been coming into work consistently for the last couple of years. Would just love to hear the response to that one!

• charlescub80 - Jan 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Also wanted to add… Worn down at 28? Does he plan to retire at 32?

• 24thesho - Jan 2, 2013 at 3:58 AM

And yet, he still make the Olympic team? Coach K approved of this and throughout those game he so was careless with the ball, I was yelling at the t.v. in utter disbelief at times and now it continues. Man!

21. hahapapa - Jan 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

At least he is out of Jazz locker room now.

22. borderline1988 - Jan 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Diva

23. iamjimmyjack - Jan 1, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Hey dwill none of the other Olympians are complaining. How much money do u make again?

24. joeyb3878 - Jan 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM

There are more than a few players who could use the same excuse, including the guys who have made deep playoff runs as well, except they are not playing nearly as bad as Deron Williams.

25. talkingfan - Jan 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Well lets just hope you take off and rest on all star weekend, because you are not one. Can someone say OVERRATED!!!!!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches