Deron Williams says two years of constant playing may have worn him down

Jan 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EST

Charlotte Bobcats v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Deron Williams was unimpressive Monday against Tony Parker and the Spurs — he was 3-of-11 shooting, finishing with eight points, one assist and he was a -35 in a game the Nets lost by 31.

It really fits with a season where he is shooting 39.9 percent overall, 30 percent from three and has a PER five points below his last season in Utah.

What is going on? Williams has a series of nagging injuries (particularly a wrist injury) and GM Billy King suggested that playing two straight years — going to Turkey during the lockout then winning gold with Team USA at the London Olympics this summer — has taken its toll on his body. Williams basically agreed with that talking to the New York Daily News.

“I didn’t take any time off. After last season, I never stopped working out. After the Olympics, the day I got back I worked out the next morning,” Williams said. “I thought it was the best thing to do, and now looking back, it probably would have been smarter to take some time off and get a little bit of rest, especially on my legs, and my ankles in general.

“I took a lot of pounding over the last year because even though we had a shortened season, I was over in Istanbul, so I haven’t had a break since before then. I felt like I could handle it, and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn’t want to get out of shape. I wanted to just keep going.”

To which a lot of Nets fans, as well as Nets ownership, would say “tough cookies.” (Well, they wouldn’t say cookies but I can’t print the word they would use.)

He chose to play in Turkey and with Team USA. He has a brand new max deal. While maybe the Nets should try and find a way to get him a little rest, Williams is lying in a bed he made.

The Nets are a long ways from good and no coach — not Phil Jackson, not anyone — turns this roster into a contender. But the first job for the new coach, whoever it ends up being, is to get Williams turned around. Good luck with that.

1. donrwells3 - Jan 2, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Mark my words, deron williams will never lead a team to an NBA Championship in his entire career.. he won’t do it. he doesn’t have it in him. I doubt he ever makes to a conference finals.. He’s the most overrated PG in the league and at best, he is an above average point guard.

He’s on about two tiers lower than where everybody tries to place him..

2. kavika6 - Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Tony Parker made a fool out of him.

• progress2011 - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

TP did have his lunch.

BUT

Brandon Jennings took his lunch and slapped him in the face with the pickle….ahahahahaha

Dude has become a “coach killer”….He has no one else to deflect his lack of game or leadership on!

He’s gotta get in the gym and put in work, otherwise he is gonna quickly be undressed as a FRAUD !

He will be relegated to being a support player/ 6th man etc, instead of a cornerstone franchise player.

3. lemfax - Jan 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Not a good excuses for a team leader tsk tsk tsk

4. madsqgrdn - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Wow I remember when people were saying Dwill was better than Carmelo. Also why if your building an arena to elevate brooklyn…why cover it in rust???!!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches