Jan 1, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
It really fits with a season where he is shooting 39.9 percent overall, 30 percent from three and has a PER five points below his last season in Utah.
What is going on? Williams has a series of nagging injuries (particularly a wrist injury) and GM Billy King suggested that playing two straight years — going to Turkey during the lockout then winning gold with Team USA at the London Olympics this summer — has taken its toll on his body. Williams basically agreed with that talking to the New York Daily News.
“I didn’t take any time off. After last season, I never stopped working out. After the Olympics, the day I got back I worked out the next morning,” Williams said. “I thought it was the best thing to do, and now looking back, it probably would have been smarter to take some time off and get a little bit of rest, especially on my legs, and my ankles in general.
“I took a lot of pounding over the last year because even though we had a shortened season, I was over in Istanbul, so I haven’t had a break since before then. I felt like I could handle it, and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn’t want to get out of shape. I wanted to just keep going.”
To which a lot of Nets fans, as well as Nets ownership, would say “tough cookies.” (Well, they wouldn’t say cookies but I can’t print the word they would use.)
He chose to play in Turkey and with Team USA. He has a brand new max deal. While maybe the Nets should try and find a way to get him a little rest, Williams is lying in a bed he made.
The Nets are a long ways from good and no coach — not Phil Jackson, not anyone — turns this roster into a contender. But the first job for the new coach, whoever it ends up being, is to get Williams turned around. Good luck with that.
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 0
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 18
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 46
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 59
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 72
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 40
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3