Dec 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
We need to start with this note: Paul Millsap will be a free agent next summer. Unrestricted, he can go where he pleases.
Now jump ahead to Sunday night, when the Jazz were on the road against the Clippers. Two nights before against the same team, Jazz coach Ty Corbin heard criticism for leaving Al Jefferson in for a key defensive play at the end of the game rather than subbing in Derrick Favors, a superior defensive big man.
Sunday night Corbin got Favors a lot more playing time late — by benching Millsap for the entire fourth quarter. Guess how that sat with Millsap?
Favors, the gem of 2011’s Deron Williams trade, scored 11 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 28 minutes, while Millsap was held to 9 points and 2 boards in 20.
Asked if he was frustrated not to play the entirety of a fourth quarter in which the Clippers’ lead ballooned from 3 to, at one point, 13, Millsap snapped, “What do you think?”
Corbin is a coach searching for anything that works — his team is 3-7 in their last 10 and has lost three in a row. And they had back-to-back games against the hottest teams in the NBA. Corbin was throwing anything and everything against the wall to see what stuck.
Corbin needs to sit down and explain that to Millsap. Give him the whole “you’re a key part of our future” speech.
But this is the kind of things that cause a lot of teams to call and probe and see if Millsap might be available by trade. Expect the Jazz to move him or Al Jefferson by the deadline and try to lock down the other this summer.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 0
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 42
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60