Dec 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
We need to start with this note: Paul Millsap will be a free agent next summer. Unrestricted, he can go where he pleases.
Now jump ahead to Sunday night, when the Jazz were on the road against the Clippers. Two nights before against the same team, Jazz coach Ty Corbin heard criticism for leaving Al Jefferson in for a key defensive play at the end of the game rather than subbing in Derrick Favors, a superior defensive big man.
Sunday night Corbin got Favors a lot more playing time late — by benching Millsap for the entire fourth quarter. Guess how that sat with Millsap?
Favors, the gem of 2011’s Deron Williams trade, scored 11 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 28 minutes, while Millsap was held to 9 points and 2 boards in 20.
Asked if he was frustrated not to play the entirety of a fourth quarter in which the Clippers’ lead ballooned from 3 to, at one point, 13, Millsap snapped, “What do you think?”
Corbin is a coach searching for anything that works — his team is 3-7 in their last 10 and has lost three in a row. And they had back-to-back games against the hottest teams in the NBA. Corbin was throwing anything and everything against the wall to see what stuck.
Corbin needs to sit down and explain that to Millsap. Give him the whole “you’re a key part of our future” speech.
But this is the kind of things that cause a lot of teams to call and probe and see if Millsap might be available by trade. Expect the Jazz to move him or Al Jefferson by the deadline and try to lock down the other this summer.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15