Dec 31, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
We need to start with this note: Paul Millsap will be a free agent next summer. Unrestricted, he can go where he pleases.
Now jump ahead to Sunday night, when the Jazz were on the road against the Clippers. Two nights before against the same team, Jazz coach Ty Corbin heard criticism for leaving Al Jefferson in for a key defensive play at the end of the game rather than subbing in Derrick Favors, a superior defensive big man.
Sunday night Corbin got Favors a lot more playing time late — by benching Millsap for the entire fourth quarter. Guess how that sat with Millsap?
Favors, the gem of 2011’s Deron Williams trade, scored 11 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 28 minutes, while Millsap was held to 9 points and 2 boards in 20.
Asked if he was frustrated not to play the entirety of a fourth quarter in which the Clippers’ lead ballooned from 3 to, at one point, 13, Millsap snapped, “What do you think?”
Corbin is a coach searching for anything that works — his team is 3-7 in their last 10 and has lost three in a row. And they had back-to-back games against the hottest teams in the NBA. Corbin was throwing anything and everything against the wall to see what stuck.
Corbin needs to sit down and explain that to Millsap. Give him the whole “you’re a key part of our future” speech.
But this is the kind of things that cause a lot of teams to call and probe and see if Millsap might be available by trade. Expect the Jazz to move him or Al Jefferson by the deadline and try to lock down the other this summer.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 1
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games