Video: Eric Gordon returns to Hornets, scores 24 in win

Dec 30, 2012, 9:30 AM EST

It’s going to take more than one game to make the fans of the New Orleans Hornets forgive Eric Gordon for signing an offer sheet with Phoenix last summer and saying publicly that is where he wanted to play, which combined with his injuries made it seem like he wanted out of New Orleans.

But more games like his debut will do it.

Gordon was clearly the creative playmaker the Hornets have missed as he scored 24 points on 13 shots — getting to the free throw line 14 times — plus dishing out seven assists in the Hornets 98-95 win over the Bobcats. Gordon came in off the bench and was clear and away the best player on the floor and showed why he was such a key piece coming east in last year’s Chris Paul trade. He can attack and get into the lane like nobody the Hornets have. Like nobody a lot of teams have. As he did that, things opened up like a kick-outs to Ryan Anderson for corner threes.

Gordon played just 9 games last season before a knee injury that required surgery and kept him out until Saturday this season. He is not all the way back yet.

But it was plain to see he is a key piece, along with Anthony Davis, to bringing the Hornets to basketball respectability.

1. mrlaloosh - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The WHO DAT PELICANS!

2. metalhead65 - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

nice return but let’s see him make it thru at least a week with injuring something else before he is declared back.

3. musilly - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Random NBA thought of the day.

Gordon as the face (or one of the faces, alongside A-Davis) of the New Orleans “Jazz” (er, Pelicans) seems oddly appropriate.
    Although young, he’s got the sort of “old,” somewhat sad face that a lot of of classic jazz players have.

• musilly - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Actual jazz musicians, not Jazz NBA players.

4. iamjimmyjack - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

IF he is healthy, he is a top 5 shooting guard. His talent is off the charts and he is still very young. The problem is that he is much like Andrew Bynum.. He’ll never live up to his potential because he can’t stay on the court. If he can stay healthy and Davis continues to get better, I’d say its an even trade.

5. gmsalpha - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Nice debut.

But if I’m the Hornets, my trigger finger is mighty itchy, and I’m looking closely at his attitude and body language, on and off the court. It’s a bit of a slippery slope because he can obviously help them if healthy, but if he’s injured or acting injured, he needs to go.

Good luck, but I don’t really see this working out in the long term for New Orleans.

6. redstar504 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM

It was good to get him back and what do you know they snapped the losing streak with him back in the line up. I still don’t know if it works long term. I was a little disheartened early this AM to see him say on NBATV that on winning the fans back that he is here for “four” more years and will make the most of it vs. just saying he was happy to be here, It sounded like he was saying I have a contract and I will play it out but I don’t really want to be here.

I felt better when I saw him on the Saints sideline during the game today. He was hanging out with his teammates having a good time even stopping to high five fans on the way out, so all may be well. The problem may actually be the fans judging him and labeling him as a guy that don’t want to be in New Orleans while the real story may have been he was just a guy trying to get a max money deal that then had to deal with a career threatening injury.

I for what it is worth am willing to hit the restart button and judge him on his actions/play moving forward. I hope more folks do so because for the Hornets to work we need Eric Gordon happy and healthy.

7. BigBeachBall - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM

groomed by kobe in LA…

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches