Monta Ellis officially loses his mind, compares himself to Dwyane Wade (VIDEO)

Dec 30, 2012, 12:30 PM EST

Monta Ellis, Tristan Thompson

So the Bucks had a really great win against the Miami Heat last night. Monta Ellis had 14 points, 9 assists and 5 steals. Decent night. He shot a lot of shots, 18 to be exact, but that’s kind of what Ellis does.

Well, he does that, and apparently he also gives ridiculously awesome interviews. And apparently he does everything just as well as Dwyane Wade does. That too.

Why don’t I just let Monta Ellis tell you about how good Monta Ellis thinks Monta Ellis is and be on my way:

Transcribed here, because no one should miss the joys of Monta Ellis being delusional:

To be honest, I would put myself in the same category as D-Wade. I mean, at the end of the day, the only thing that he has that I don’t have is more wins and two championships. That’s it. As far as playing at the same level? Competing every night? Both ends? Shooting inside and outside? Fast break? Transition? Monta Ellis have it all.” – Monta Ellis

1. dysraw1 - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Monta is nice and hes come a long way as a player and individual, and he should think that he is as good as any player in the league. however the 2006 season propelled D Wade to such a high level because that kind of play will never be seen again

• Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM

In what way? Because the refs helped them win a title?

• dysraw1 - Dec 31, 2012 at 12:55 AM

always hated the Heat ever since PJ.Brown toss my man Charlie Ward into the stands, but in all honesty D Wade carried the entire Miami team to the finals that year. it was a thing of beauty watching him that year a season even mr.Wade couldn’t duplicate

• cantonbound13 - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM

2006 will never be repeated again because Tim Donoghy was banned for fixing games.

2. joshm5683 - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I agree, I think to be competing at that level they all believe they are that good. I bet the 10th man on the Bobcats bench believes he could beat Kobe or Lebron 1 on 1. Its kind of like when Eli Manning said he was a top QB in the NFL, what else is he supposed to say? I do think Monta is a knucklehead, but I don’t think its that outlandish any professional athlete thinks they are just as good or better than their peers.

3. bayrich - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

He’s better than d wade he just never had shaq or lebron on his team

• paintman34 - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM

look at the years wade had no one on his team and they still made the playoffs, Monta made the playoffs as a role player

• bigmeechy74 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Better than dwyane wade? And you got 13 thumbs up for that? How?

• cantonbound13 - Dec 30, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It’s actually up to 32 & counting

• moseskkim - Dec 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM

He’s not better than dwade. It’s not even close. Anyone in the nba can jack up 20 shots a game and hit 40%. Dwade is so much more efficient. More polished. If wade were on those run n gun warrior teams, he would’ve avgd 35. No lie. Ellis is averaging less numbers on a team with far less talent than Miami and still wade has the upper hand.

4. dannymac17 - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM

well i would agree with him actually. Hes been sunk on some very bad teams. Never been in a good market to really market himself and to bring players. THe Warriors and the Bucks?

i think you are losing your mind if you dont think hes a top 5-10 at the position

D-Wade has fallen off. He didnt have a very good season last year, and this year, well hes kicking other guards in the nutts.

If thats what Monta is talking about, then i think he needs to rethink who he is comparable to

• paintman34 - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Wade’s worst season -last year- is light years better than Monta’a best season

• dannymac17 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Wrong.

• paintman34 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

This was Wade’s worst season– http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degZ-X7vPSk&list=FLyaF0NHMLd4AvhjzOCu4dug

Sit down sir

5. urodaddy07 - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I actually don’t don’t think skill wise they are that far apart. Execution and production define a player’s career though and speaks to a mind set that some guys have and some don’t.

6. charlescub80 - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

If I were him I would rather compare myself with James Harden than The Nutcracker!

7. jimsjam33 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Monta Ellis is good . Real good ! Last year he beat the Clippers single handily with a fablous shooting night . Put him on the same team as LeBron or Chris Paul and maybe , he’s not talking smack . It’s all a matter of who you play with , basketball , afterall is a 12 man team sport . How did the Clippers get so good all of a sudden …teamwork and CP3 .

8. Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Ellis is better than Wade, and doesn’t flop, nor is he dirty.

9. money2long - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

i’m actually pretty happy not to see too many ppl here thrashing ellis for his comments, because i for one do not think he is CRAZY for saying it. it brings to light cuban’s statements however about what championships do for a player’s image. i do believe had ellis been a SPUR, with the same exact skills he’s had for his career, he wouldn’t be called delusional for this. ellis can flat out ball, and winning changes everything.

with that said, wade is still better, but ellis is not crazy for saying that because a case can be made. now, had smush parker said what he said…………..

10. davidly - Dec 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM

“Monta Ellis have it all.”
    He was referring to the daunting combined talents of the many b-ballers who go by the name of Monta Elli. Take the court against them dudes, and you better bring your big-boy pants, tho’ I’m sure D-Wade would eventually kick ‘em all in the yoohoos.

11. cantonbound13 - Dec 30, 2012 at 6:41 PM

He doesn’t whine, flop or play dirty. He’s nothing like Wade.

12. cantonbound13 - Dec 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Why would you want to compare yourself to trash? Aim higher like Kobe or even James.

13. jm9ulose - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Some of u are as deluded as Ellis…it’s quite sad. But it gives me a laugh too. DWADE all day!

• pensfan603 - Dec 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM

how are we the deluded ones dwade has lead his team what once in scoring this year during a game? how many times has monta, how many double doubles has monta had this year how many has dwade had?

14. weaselpuppy - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM

yep. other than scoring, FT made per game, shooting %, rebounding, assists, blocks, individual and team defense, and leadership, Ellis totally wins….

15. pensfan603 - Dec 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Im gona be honest here Monta is better, right now, when you look at there full careers dwade is better, monta ellis, hasnt played in the playoffs yet and hasnt proven his self or been given the chance to prove himself. But he has had huge games nad is having a great season, while lebron is carrying the heat right now..

16. mrwright313 - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Basketball talent wise it’s very close, but Wade is a physical specimen, so much so that the comparison is laughable.

17. dexterismyhero - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Anyone who talks on camera in the third person should also have a psychiatrist!!! smh

18. kuyabest - Dec 31, 2012 at 11:29 AM

To compare one’s self to a great Wade is not losing one’s mind. It is poetic to compare one’s self to another person you admire… and in basketball, I most admire D Wade’s play… and I love Monta Ellis for doing the same! Ellis… you have made me admire you too… In fact… I like you NOW more than D Wade… as a player… and now as a person. I find it a humble thing to admire other people… and then doing your best to be as great… or greater… and I hope… to be the greatest.

Count me as your BIG fan!

19. genesy2013 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I totally agree with Ellis; Ellis is an unbelievable basketball player and the media has not acknowledged his talent as one of the top guards in the NBA. We all know that Ellis is a true scorer; but look at his assists and rebounds this guy is a leader in these categories. Oh yes, we hear this all the time “he does not play defense” but I say to you check the stats, when it comes to his position as a guard this guy is a leader in blocks and steals; So yes he can be compared to D-Wade. Ellis goes to work every night and he delivers quality and effective work on the basketball court. The questions are, is Monta Ellis as popular than D-Wade? The answer is No; is Ellis a true baller on the court and can he be compared to D-Wade? The answer is Hell Yea….just pull the stats; he is compared to him and Ellis is leading in several effective categories. I love D-Wade too; but I cannot take anything for Monta. Man, this young man is definitely an All Star Player who has never made the All Star Team. I think popularity plays a big part because Ellis has the numbers.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches