Dec 30, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Golden State Warriors point guard Jarrett Jack and Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul have a long-standing friendship. The two floor generals have known each other since they were teenagers on the AAU scene, and that carried over into a friendly ACC rivalry at Georgia Tech (Jack) and Wake Forest (Paul).
When Jack was traded to Paul’s Hornets back in 2010, both were thrilled about the chance to play together. Jack actually lived with Paul and his family for a short time. They were the NBA’s new backcourt bromance to replace Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, and it was fun to watch them share the court together.
Of course, the relationship as teammates didn’t last long. Jack and Paul only played one season together in New Orleans before Paul requested out and landed in Los Angeles. Now enjoying the best season of his career with Golden State, Jack was asked about his time playing next to Paul, and whether that helped him get to where he is now:
Jarrett Jack on whether playing with CP3 helped him get to this level: “Nah, he ain’t got s*** to do with it.”
— Ethan Strauss (@SherwoodStrauss) December 30, 2012
Well then! Perhaps Jack is still bitter about Chris Paul leaving New Orleans, or maybe there was a falling out between the two, but it’s more likely that Jack just wants to establish that he’s self-made.
Look, this is Jack’s fifth NBA stop. He’s a seasoned vet, a 29-year-old man who has scrapped for every minute he’s received. To give some of that long awaited and long overdue credit to your friend who skipped town, your childhood rival, a guy who is actually younger than you and who came into the league the same year you did? The guy everyone fawns over, the guy you had to replace? Nah. Not gonna happen.
Jack didn’t take the PR high road. He said what he felt and we should thank him for that — especially because it’s only going to make the Clippers-Warriors game on January 2nd even more interesting than it already was.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 23
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 32
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 5
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31