Dec 29, 2012, 12:18 AM EDT
Will Bynum is an unstoppable force of nature.
Okay, that’s not true. But he is a guy capable on a given night of just lighting it up and taking over an NBA game. Like when he dropped 35 on the Hawks a couple of nights ago. He can do it against anyone — including the Miami Heat and LeBron James.
And he did Friday night. In the fourth quarter Will Bynum was dribbling around like a Globetrotter then pulling up and nailing jumpers. He was making drop passes on the break to bigs running the floor. He was everywhere, hitting everything.
Bynum outplayed everyone on the floor — the Pistons had fallen behind by 17 points early in the game but their bench led by Bynum (25 points, 10 assists), Charlie Villanueva (18 points and 4-of-5 from three) and Andre Drummond (10 points, 10 rebounds) led a comeback and hung on for a 109-99 win. That snapped the Heat’s six game win streak.
If you’re the Heat you have a lot of excuses. Dwyane Wade was out serving his deserved one-game suspension for kicking the Bobcats’ Ramon Session in the groin. They took their foot off the gas after getting up early. They are worried about Avery Johnson. It’s Friday.
If Heat fans really want to point at something, this was a case where the weakness of the Heat bench was exposed when nobody could step up for Wade. LeBron tried — 35 points on 15-22 shooting — but the Heat need all of their big three when the other team is hot, or they need a role player to step up. None did.
But lets give the Pistons credit. They won this game.
They could have rolled over at home and instead they fought back from their early deficit, then when the Heat made their second half charge behind LeBron Bynum made plays, the Pistons went on a 9-0 run to get the lead back to double digits and they never let go.
Make no mistake, They earned it.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 28
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 10
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23