Dec 29, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
Now that is drama.
The Knicks almost completed an amazing comeback win — down 27 in the second quarter they came all the way back to lead by two points with less than 20 seconds to play. One basket probably seals the win but DeMarcus Cousins reads the Knicks play — Jason Kidd and Tyson Chandler run a pick-and-roll and Kidd thinks he has room for the alley-oop lob but Cousins sees it and goes up and grabs the pass then outlets to initiate a break.
Then the James Johnson show begins. First Johnson tips the loose ball rebound back out (announcer Mike Breen credits Cousins but it was Johnson), Thomas chases it down, starts to drive the paint, draws the defense and kicks it to John Salmons in the corner but the defense rotates so Salmons passes to Johnson who has moved out to the top of the arc and he takes the three and drains it.
Heartbreaking loss for the Knicks, who were again without Carmelo Anthony as well as Raynond Felton (and Amar’e Stoudemire) but outscored the Kings 55-35 in the second half. While they got 28 points from J.R. Smith he took 25 shots to get it.
Johnson finished with 17 for the Kings and you just saw his only three of the night.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20