Dec 29, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
Now that is drama.
The Knicks almost completed an amazing comeback win — down 27 in the second quarter they came all the way back to lead by two points with less than 20 seconds to play. One basket probably seals the win but DeMarcus Cousins reads the Knicks play — Jason Kidd and Tyson Chandler run a pick-and-roll and Kidd thinks he has room for the alley-oop lob but Cousins sees it and goes up and grabs the pass then outlets to initiate a break.
Then the James Johnson show begins. First Johnson tips the loose ball rebound back out (announcer Mike Breen credits Cousins but it was Johnson), Thomas chases it down, starts to drive the paint, draws the defense and kicks it to John Salmons in the corner but the defense rotates so Salmons passes to Johnson who has moved out to the top of the arc and he takes the three and drains it.
Heartbreaking loss for the Knicks, who were again without Carmelo Anthony as well as Raynond Felton (and Amar’e Stoudemire) but outscored the Kings 55-35 in the second half. While they got 28 points from J.R. Smith he took 25 shots to get it.
Johnson finished with 17 for the Kings and you just saw his only three of the night.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19