Brandon Roy has setback with knees, not playing Saturday or soon

Dec 29, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT

Brandon Roy AP

I just feel bad for Brandon Roy at this point.

His recovery from his latest knee surgery (number seven, but who is counting?) progressed to the point he had planed to practice Friday and if there were no setbacks suit up for the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday.

There were setbacks, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.

Ugh.

At some point the topic of another retirement because of Roy’s knee issues are going to come up, but it has to be his call. We’re at the point the three-time All-Star with a real competitive fire needs to accept that it is over, and he doesn’t seem ready to go there yet.

1. JB (the original) - Dec 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

That’s too bad. I just hope the competitive fire doesn’t override his brain or the next thing we’ll be hearing is about how his kidneys and liver are shot from anti-inflammatorys. Sometimes, unfortunately, you just have to walk away (while you can still walk)

• drtrener - Dec 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

sorry to hear but team doesnt need him but im starting to wonder about kevin .love though; can he play team basketball w the rest of the guys, yu gotta love ho Shved and AK play together

2. timb12 - Dec 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It’s 2012, no one can hook him up with robotic knees?

3. southpaw77 - Dec 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I said it in the summer, he made out like a bandit when the Wolves game a 2 year deal for millions.
    No way in hell do you have no cartilage, retire and come back and play 82 games. Modern medicine hasn’t advanced that far yet.

Retire Brandon and enjoy the millions you got from the Wolves and Blazers before that.

• nbascreed - Dec 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I agree. I thought the signing was silly. I was disappointed that a prudent businessman like Glen Taylor would sign off on something so silly. Any doctor would have told you that no cartilage means no play. Kahn tried to fool the populous with this move to create hype…it worked…there was a lot of hype in MN about this move but what of it now. And as for Roy, my sympathy with him ended after the first knee surgery. It’s over bro…move on…we all have to at some point.

ktgotgame.com

4. jessethegreat - Dec 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Sorry to say this but Mr. Roy, meet the fork.

5. dannymac17 - Dec 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM

at some point, you just have to tap out. as much as your pride wont let you, you have a family to think about.

6. anarchopurplism - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I don’t know about everybody here, but I plan on being able to walk to my beer fridge without excruciating pain when I am 50.

7. bougin89 - Dec 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I also feel bad for Brandon Roy. If you or I had his natural ability when healthy wouldn’t you give almost anything to keep the NBA dream alive as long as possible even if it was borderline insane?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches