Brandon Roy issues statement regarding his future

Dec 29, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT

Brandon Roy

Earlier today, it was reported that Minnesota Timberwolves guard Brandon Roy was considering retirement due to multiple setbacks with his troublesome knees. Roy was able to play in just five games this season before he was forced to undergo knee surgery. Roy has more medical issues than you can count, and the post-surgery setbacks were thought to be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

While reports of Roy’s retirement were very believable given his history, it no longer appears that he is leaning towards that decision. Roy issued a press release to provide some clarity to his situation:

“Last week while practicing, I suffered a setback in my recovery. I’ve felt better since the recent surgery, but I am not all the way better. The past two days I have been weighing all of my options as I try to continue my basketball career. I have decided to explore additional treatment options and an extensive rehabilitation plan. My goal has been, and continues to be, to return to the basketball court as healthy as possible in order to help our team. “

Via InsideHoops.com

Here’s hoping Roy does what’s best for his future health. There are plenty of former athletes who live every day of their life in pain, and while that may already be the case for Roy, you’d hate to see him risk his health further for a couple more shots at glory. His toughness and persistence is admirable, but no one would blame Roy if he decided to hang up his sneakers after all.

But until Roy makes that decision, it’s impossible not to root for him to succeed. He may no longer have the chance to be remembered as one of the game’s greatest guards, but here’s hoping he finds whatever he’s looking for from the game going forward.

1. bowmanj35 - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I’d like to quote all the blazers fans when I day, “what a shock”.

2. norvturnersneck - Dec 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I day de dame ding

3. mnsadsportsfan - Dec 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Just hang it up dude. enough already

4. btwicey - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Stuff you haters, he has desire – sure he struggles with pain but look at his determination ! “Just give it up ” is the worst most pathetic attitude ever !

• dko83 - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:08 AM

5. btwicey - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Mnsportssadfan- go back to your basement dork

6. asublimeday - Dec 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I’m a Bulls fan, so I have no rooting interest, but as a person and an NBA fan, I really want to see Roy do well.

I can’t help but think of Gale Sayers, and how the knee injury that ended his career is now an 8-month recovery and then it’s back to the game. Someday Roy’s issues will be curable, but for now, for him, they appear career ending.

7. pariseinminnesotabichez - Dec 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

As a wolves fan, I really think the smart move here is just to retire, you tried but its all just too much. Retire before it affects your mobility outside of basketball for the rest of your life…

• dko83 - Dec 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM

This is the flip side to btwicey’s argument. I see both sides. Tough situation to be in for Roy. Feel bad for him.

8. remyje - Dec 30, 2012 at 5:36 AM

“I day de dame ding” lmaooooo I laughed so hard because I’m so lame

9. btwicey - Dec 30, 2012 at 6:36 AM

No one likes seeing people struggle with injuries but until the day he says “nope, that’ll do son” then as fans of the game and people who want to see these kind of stories have happy endings we should encourage and support his wishes.

10. omniusprime - Dec 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Geez what a surprise. Roy was stupid to come back and the Timberwolves were even more brain dead hiring him knowing his knees are trashed. Well both get what they deserve, to be losers. Maybe Brandon will wake up to the reality that his knees aren’t going to heal up ever to play sports and he needs to go out and get a real job working for real little money like the rest of us.

• cramsinned - Dec 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You don’t belong here, just go to Lakers page and whine the “Dumbtoni” thing every now and then.

11. beagle11 - Dec 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM

You guys hating on BRoy are clueless. Yoy say things like ” Hang it up” ” he”s done”. This guy has played this game every single day of his life. Do you have any idea how much he must love it? I can’t imagine how hard it must be to walk away from at that age. I really feel for the guy. Who cares how much money you bank if you cant do what you love most.

12. talkingfan - Dec 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

It’s ok, times to make the best of life after basketball!!!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches