Dec 29, 2012, 8:16 PM EST
Earlier today, it was reported that Minnesota Timberwolves guard Brandon Roy was considering retirement due to multiple setbacks with his troublesome knees. Roy was able to play in just five games this season before he was forced to undergo knee surgery. Roy has more medical issues than you can count, and the post-surgery setbacks were thought to be the straw that broke the camel’s back.
While reports of Roy’s retirement were very believable given his history, it no longer appears that he is leaning towards that decision. Roy issued a press release to provide some clarity to his situation:
“Last week while practicing, I suffered a setback in my recovery. I’ve felt better since the recent surgery, but I am not all the way better. The past two days I have been weighing all of my options as I try to continue my basketball career. I have decided to explore additional treatment options and an extensive rehabilitation plan. My goal has been, and continues to be, to return to the basketball court as healthy as possible in order to help our team. “
Here’s hoping Roy does what’s best for his future health. There are plenty of former athletes who live every day of their life in pain, and while that may already be the case for Roy, you’d hate to see him risk his health further for a couple more shots at glory. His toughness and persistence is admirable, but no one would blame Roy if he decided to hang up his sneakers after all.
But until Roy makes that decision, it’s impossible not to root for him to succeed. He may no longer have the chance to be remembered as one of the game’s greatest guards, but here’s hoping he finds whatever he’s looking for from the game going forward.
- Bobcats lose Jeffery Taylor for season with ruptured Achilles 0
- Carmelo Anthony after latest home loss to Grizzlies: ‘I think it’s in our heads’ 13
- Brook Lopez suffers broken foot, out for the season 27
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 12
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 6
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (71)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now (45)