Dec 28, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
This is from Avery Johnson’s press conference in Brooklyn after being let go by the Nets on Thursday.
He sounds like a coach who isn’t happy but knows this is part of the business and knows that he is taking the fall for failings of the some players (we’re looking at you, Deron Williams) and how Billy King built the roster. Not to mention the unrealistic expectations of ownership (this is a four seed, out in the second round roster at its peak).
King also speaks about how he thinks Johnson was not reaching the players anymore.
Neither guy is wrong. There are a number of factors going on with the Nets. The question is can a new coach really solve them? (Hint: the answer is no.)
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 23
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30