Dec 28, 2012, 3:14 PM EST
There is a lot of masked, subtle brilliance to what Kevin Durant does. It’s almost like drinking a fine wine — you have to know what flavors you’re looking for to appreciate it fully.
Durant had one particular sequence against the Dallas Mavericks yesterday that embodies that. His block on Darren Collison wasn’t just a 6-foot-10 guy blocking a much shorter guy; it was speed and timing blended beautifully. Watch Durant beat Collison in a dead heat from half court and then time his strides perfectly to meet the ball at the top of the square on the backboard. A nanosecond later and it’s goaltending, but if he comes any earlier Collison probably draws the foul.
Of course, this is where it gets fun. Durant then takes the ball from one baseline (he was actually out of bounds, so there’s that) all the way to the other to dunk on Chris Kaman, a 7-footer that had all the time in the world to prepare himself. But again, the dunk itself might not even be the most impressive thing here. Watch how effortlessly Durant takes the ball 94 feet in six dribbles. Six! Watch him bounce like a long-jumper on his approach to the rim, building up his momentum to elevate towards the rim. Sometimes with Durant, the lead-up to the highlight play is actually better than the payoff:
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)