Dec 28, 2012, 3:14 PM EDT
There is a lot of masked, subtle brilliance to what Kevin Durant does. It’s almost like drinking a fine wine — you have to know what flavors you’re looking for to appreciate it fully.
Durant had one particular sequence against the Dallas Mavericks yesterday that embodies that. His block on Darren Collison wasn’t just a 6-foot-10 guy blocking a much shorter guy; it was speed and timing blended beautifully. Watch Durant beat Collison in a dead heat from half court and then time his strides perfectly to meet the ball at the top of the square on the backboard. A nanosecond later and it’s goaltending, but if he comes any earlier Collison probably draws the foul.
Of course, this is where it gets fun. Durant then takes the ball from one baseline (he was actually out of bounds, so there’s that) all the way to the other to dunk on Chris Kaman, a 7-footer that had all the time in the world to prepare himself. But again, the dunk itself might not even be the most impressive thing here. Watch how effortlessly Durant takes the ball 94 feet in six dribbles. Six! Watch him bounce like a long-jumper on his approach to the rim, building up his momentum to elevate towards the rim. Sometimes with Durant, the lead-up to the highlight play is actually better than the payoff:
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'