Dec 28, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Goran Dragic will miss the Suns game on Friday in Indianapolis against the Pacers, and is questionable for the team’s next one in Minnesota, thanks to a nasty fall he took late in the first half of Wednesday night’s loss to the Knicks.
Dragic suffered multiple injuries on the play, including to his elbow, wrist, and tailbone. But the hip bruise is still problematic, and is what is still keeping him sidelined, reports Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
The fall occurred thanks to an irresponsible foul from J.R. Smith — one that was ruled a flagrant at the time, but didn’t come with it an ejection or any further punishment from the league a day later in the form of a fine or suspension.
As Dragic streaked down the court for a fast break without a defender in front of him, Smith caught him from behind while Dragic was in mid-air, causing him to twist awkwardly before crashing hard to the floor.
Dragic didn’t return to the game, but Smith was allowed to play on, and buried the Suns with a game-winner at the buzzer.
It’s unclear what the referees saw, or what the league didn’t see while determining that there should be no additional consequences for Smith’s action. There was clearly no legitimate basketball play to be made from his angle, and the fact that Dragic was injured as a direct result of Smith’s decision to hit him from behind should have warranted more than a simple flagrant foul at the time.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 18
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4