Dwyane Wade gaining reputation as “dirty” player

Dec 28, 2012, 9:08 AM EDT

Dwyane Wade AP

Last year during the NBA All-Star Game — and exhibition where matador defense is played — Dwyane Wade broke Kobe Bryant’s nose with the kind of hard foul reserved for the playoffs.

Then during the playoffs, in the first round against the Knicks, Mike Bibby lost a show and Wade took it and threw it off the court. Or there was the time during last year’s playoffs when a frustrated Wade blindsided Indiana’s Darren Collison and picked up a flagrant foul.

The list of cheap little plays by Dwyane Wade is becoming a long one. Remember it was him fighting for a loose ball that knocked Rajon Rondo too the ground and dislocated his elbow in the 2011 playoffs.

Then on Wednesday, Wade threw his leg out trying to pick up a foul on Ramon Sessions and kicked the Bobcats guard right in the groin. The league has suspended Wade for a game for that one.

That list above is just part of a pattern, one leading to a growing reputation around the league that Wade is a dirty player. Something that Brian Windhorst talked about at ESPN.com.

A series of questionable plays over the past two years seem to have harmed Wade’s stature among his peers. Some, such as well-known adversary Rajon Rondo, said Wade is guilty of “dirty plays.”…

Especially over the past few seasons, Wade’s anger has often been manifested in bouts with officials. He has become one of the league’s most constant complainers. Wade has occasionally been guilty of not getting back on defense because he’s allowed himself to be delayed to complain about non-calls. On Christmas Day, as he was on his way to the locker room to get treatment after a minor leg injury, Wade stopped to complain to officials about not drawing a foul on the previous play….

All of this is unbecoming of Wade’s stature in the game. He did not behave like this during the early years of his career as he soared in popularity and earned the respect of the league. As he’s become a veteran, his personality has appeared to change somewhat on the floor.

Wade is one of a small group of players who can play better when angry (most players think they can but really just become less focused and make mistakes). He seems to work himself into that state more and more of late, and while it can lead to nights of big plays there is a corollary of arguing with officials and cheap plays.

Wade’s foul on Sessions is just the latest and in some ways most public of those plays. But at this point I don’t think it changes who Wade is on the court. He is who he is, and that personality has led him to be one of the best perimeter players in the game and a two-time NBA champion.

But his reputation among players has become more than just that.

1. metalhead65 - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

as long as you know what he is talking about who cares about a few grammar errors? he probably does that on purpose so he does not come across as one you snotty know it grammar nazis. and how any heat fan can accuse Kurt of being biased against a heat player obviously does not read this blog very often. if you did you would know he was president of the lebron/heat fan club. nice to see him actually kind of sorta call one of them out when they deserves it. see if he really was biased against the heat he would have just straight up said he was a dirty player instead of saying he is gaining a reputation as being one.

• qdog112 - Jan 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

“as long as you know what he is talking about who cares about a few grammar errors? ”
      *********************************
      Here you come defending somebody and you don’t even know how to capitalize at the start of a sentence. Are you just too lazy? Trust me, nobody makes grammatical errors on purpose. If they say they do – they’re not just liars – they’re stupid liars.Your defense of anyone you say may be doing it, is as pathetic an excuse as the guy doing it.

• metalhead65 - Jan 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Lighten up Francis. I come to these blogs to discuss sports and not about the things I learned in school years ago. it makes you feel like a big man I get it but I don’t care. Go away away grammar Nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. borderline1988 - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Wade does seem a bit more sour and distant…

He used to be a totally focused, intense player who always drove to the rim hard looking for contact. Sure he was always a bit of a flopper and was always helped out by the refs, but it wasn’t like he was flopping at the 3pt line – he went hard at the rim no matter who was in his way.

That part of him seems long gone.
    Maybe that messy divorce has taken its toll on him.

3. pariseinminnesotabichez - Dec 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Wade has always been a dirty player playing in the Scum City of Miami

• cantonbound13 - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I live in Miami & can’t stand the Heat. No reason to call the city scum because of a few trashy basketball players.

• thenmoveback - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM

And ppl in miami can’t stand U wannabes , u dont have to root for the home team but u dont have to hate them either. If u like the city enough to live there then like the teams or MOVEBACK to whatever crap hole u crawled from! Miami = Heat dolphins the U marlins panthers, MIAMI all the way. U want our life style but want to pretend ur in NY still hahahahaha funny guy.

• nderdog - Dec 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Nice trolling, thenmoveback.

• cantonbound13 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

@ Moveback: you are an absolute joke. Just because you live somewhere or move somewhere does not mean you have to support that team. People stay loyal to teams they grew up cheering for. I grew up in NY but was a Dolphin fan & still am to this day, even though the have not been competitive for 10 years. I chose not to root for the Marlins because their ownership has been a joke & grew up a Yankee fan. I know the Yankees for the most part will be competitive because ownership will spend. I don’t like the Heat because I grew up a Knick fan & since basketball has been my favorite sport I have stayed loyal to the Knicks even during the disastrous Isiah Thomas era. It just so happens I don’t like Wade because of his arrogance & history of dirty play. I have to also respect players on teams I’m loyal to.

• thenmoveback - Dec 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

So ur a fan of the Knicks and the dolphins ( 2 cities in the sports world that strongly dislike each other)and ur calling me a joke. At least i amLoyalty to my city and my teams. Ask any true sports fan, pick a city and root for their teams. I guess I’m just not the type of bandwagon fan who jumps to the hot teams in the league. And I have no problem with u supporting ur players, that’s what I do also, but when u have a childish comment on EVERY heat article u are clearly jealous of their talent. And to say wade never earned a ring is out right crazy. Check his stats for the 2006 playoffs and finals only one man has ever dominated a whole playoffs like that and he is the greastest to ever play, mj. But I guess ur mother never tought u if u have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all. Go Heat Go Dolphins!

• datkiidjc - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

scum city ?? please tell me were your dumb ass is from

4. uscthom78 - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Welcome to Kobe’s world d-wade.

• cantonbound13 - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Kobe has 5 rings & carried his team to at least 2 of them. Dwhine is not in Kobe’s world.

• uscthom78 - Dec 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

In terms of dirtiness, d-wade is get there. Oh wait , no. He is not even close to being as dirty as Kobe. One glance at police reports wl tell u that.

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Gaining? He’s had it for years.

6. thenmoveback - Dec 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

To all the Knicks fans calling wade a cry baby, i mean come on melo is one of the biggest babies in the NBA anyone who watched on Xmas saw this when several times he cried for a foul and didnt play D. All u Celtic fans calling wade dirty when KG is just as dirty if not worse, and as for flopping isn’t ur boy Paul the guy who was physically carried off court to only to come running bak on 5 min later? I understand the Heat are champs and u r all jealous but 50% of the NBA players do this shit get over it u sound like little school kids. And get ready for another MIAMI HEAT championship this year cuz nobody can stop Lebron Bosh and our dirty dirty WADE!!!

• cantonbound13 - Dec 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I feel sorry for you because it’s obvious your life sucks so much that it totally revolves around sports. I don’t move to a city based on the sports teams. I moved here because it was a great place to raise my kids & am fortunate enough to make a good living and live in paradise. You obviously don’t understand what a bandwagon fan is. You could not be more wrong in accusing me of being a bandwagon fan since neither the Dolphins or Knicks have won a championship in my lifetime, yet I continue to be a LOYAL fan. Just because I moved here does not mean I have to be a fan of the team. This is not a gang we’re joining & fighting for territory. I do go to Marlins & Panthers games with my kids so they can enjoy the sports & don’t force them to be a fan because they live here. It’s moronic to root for a team just because you moved there. There’s more that goes into liking a team than just territory. You should like the players & owner. Maybe that’s too much for you to think about.
      You should be thankful that opposing teams fans go to watch your Dolphins, otherwise they would have been blacked out many times over the last couple of years.

7. philadelphiafan - Dec 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Never liked Wade since he ran down the court in the waning seconds of the clinching game against philly 2 years ago and dunked the ball for no reason. The game was decided and I thought it was disrespectful. I just don’t like the dude’s attitude toward the game anymore.

8. mwalsh5 - Dec 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Since the arrival of Lebron, Wade has gone from class of the league to -ass of the league. Thats the plain truth

9. scalfor3 - Dec 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Is it just me or has Wade been WAY more of a d-bag since Lebron took his talents to South Beach? Entitled, arrogant, whiny and immature….wonder who he picked that up from?

10. dnbajunkie - Dec 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Maybe he’s a little insecure because he’s not the top dog in the team anymore. Be careful with what you wish for because you might get it,

11. kavika6 - Dec 29, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Wade’s a dirty player but nothing he’s done compares to jr smith’s dirty play.

• qdog112 - Jan 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

you can’t compare Wade to smith. That’s just dumb. He’s one of the top players and should carry himself that way – PERIOD.

12. omniusprime - Dec 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM

DWhine has always been a dirty player that the NBA refs fail to call fouls on. He’s also a big crybaby who expects the refs to call a foul anytime someone breathes heavy on him. DWhine is a chump, not a champ. Looks like Miami has many of the most despicable names in the NBA including Queen James.

Go Lakers!!!

• mazblast - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:11 AM

A Laker fan claiming someone else is getting privileged treatment from David Stern’s officials. Now THAT is hilarious! Even if it is true.

And as someone else pointed out, what’s with “gaining a reputation as a dirty player”? He’s been known for his cheap shots for some time and only get away with some of them because he plays for one of Stern’s Designated Winners.

13. gmsingh - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Not only are his fouls dirty, but he’s also one of the biggest flop artists in the NBA.

14. fruitcovejag - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Don’t forget when Wade threw Rip Hamilton to the ground when he got frustrated. Of course he’s dirty!

15. fruitcovejag - Dec 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Shoved Rip out of bounds. Can’t believe that wasn’t mentioned 4.19.12! Wasn’t as bad as Nick Collison though. That could have been a career ender…

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches