Dec 28, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
How about one of your own as coach of the Nets?
Mike Dunleavy — the well traveled former Lakers, Bucks, Blazers and Clippers coach — is Brooklyn born, even went to Nazareth Regional High School right in the borough.
And he is a regular rotating co-host on Sirius XM’s really good basketball show Off The Dribble with Justin Termine (channel 92 daily from noon to 2 p.m. Eastern) saying he would love the job. (Quotes via the Sirius basketball twitter page):
“I’m from Brooklyn. Coaching there would be a dream come true.”
Is the Nets job a premiere job in the league? “I think it is now that they’re in Brooklyn.”
“The first thing you have to do as a coach is get (Deron) shots in his comfort zone.”
Clearly Avery Johnson was not getting Williams shots in his comfort zone which is why he was fired.
Dunleavy is not getting this job. Not because he couldn’t do a good job (he’s a solid coach, remember he took the Lakers to the NBA finals) but because he’s not going to be a big enough name to please owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
Then again, Prokhorov is going to find it tougher to get some of the big names than he expects. And when he starts looking around maybe a Brooklyn native will have some appeal. Still not going to happen, though.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16