Dec 28, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
How about one of your own as coach of the Nets?
Mike Dunleavy — the well traveled former Lakers, Bucks, Blazers and Clippers coach — is Brooklyn born, even went to Nazareth Regional High School right in the borough.
And he is a regular rotating co-host on Sirius XM’s really good basketball show Off The Dribble with Justin Termine (channel 92 daily from noon to 2 p.m. Eastern) saying he would love the job. (Quotes via the Sirius basketball twitter page):
“I’m from Brooklyn. Coaching there would be a dream come true.”
Is the Nets job a premiere job in the league? “I think it is now that they’re in Brooklyn.”
“The first thing you have to do as a coach is get (Deron) shots in his comfort zone.”
Clearly Avery Johnson was not getting Williams shots in his comfort zone which is why he was fired.
Dunleavy is not getting this job. Not because he couldn’t do a good job (he’s a solid coach, remember he took the Lakers to the NBA finals) but because he’s not going to be a big enough name to please owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
Then again, Prokhorov is going to find it tougher to get some of the big names than he expects. And when he starts looking around maybe a Brooklyn native will have some appeal. Still not going to happen, though.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million