Dec 28, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
How about one of your own as coach of the Nets?
Mike Dunleavy — the well traveled former Lakers, Bucks, Blazers and Clippers coach — is Brooklyn born, even went to Nazareth Regional High School right in the borough.
And he is a regular rotating co-host on Sirius XM’s really good basketball show Off The Dribble with Justin Termine (channel 92 daily from noon to 2 p.m. Eastern) saying he would love the job. (Quotes via the Sirius basketball twitter page):
“I’m from Brooklyn. Coaching there would be a dream come true.”
Is the Nets job a premiere job in the league? “I think it is now that they’re in Brooklyn.”
“The first thing you have to do as a coach is get (Deron) shots in his comfort zone.”
Clearly Avery Johnson was not getting Williams shots in his comfort zone which is why he was fired.
Dunleavy is not getting this job. Not because he couldn’t do a good job (he’s a solid coach, remember he took the Lakers to the NBA finals) but because he’s not going to be a big enough name to please owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
Then again, Prokhorov is going to find it tougher to get some of the big names than he expects. And when he starts looking around maybe a Brooklyn native will have some appeal. Still not going to happen, though.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 12
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful