Dec 28, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
How about one of your own as coach of the Nets?
Mike Dunleavy — the well traveled former Lakers, Bucks, Blazers and Clippers coach — is Brooklyn born, even went to Nazareth Regional High School right in the borough.
And he is a regular rotating co-host on Sirius XM’s really good basketball show Off The Dribble with Justin Termine (channel 92 daily from noon to 2 p.m. Eastern) saying he would love the job. (Quotes via the Sirius basketball twitter page):
“I’m from Brooklyn. Coaching there would be a dream come true.”
Is the Nets job a premiere job in the league? “I think it is now that they’re in Brooklyn.”
“The first thing you have to do as a coach is get (Deron) shots in his comfort zone.”
Clearly Avery Johnson was not getting Williams shots in his comfort zone which is why he was fired.
Dunleavy is not getting this job. Not because he couldn’t do a good job (he’s a solid coach, remember he took the Lakers to the NBA finals) but because he’s not going to be a big enough name to please owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
Then again, Prokhorov is going to find it tougher to get some of the big names than he expects. And when he starts looking around maybe a Brooklyn native will have some appeal. Still not going to happen, though.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50