Dec 27, 2012, 6:21 PM EST
In the wake of Avery Johnson being fired, P.J. Carlisimo is the Brooklyn Nets head coach. Whenever GM Billy King was asked about a coaching search during his press conference, he blew the idea off and went back to Carlisimo being the coach.
Nobody believes him. Everybody knows there will be a full blown coaching search for the Nets job. (Carlisimo can put his name into that search by just winning, he has the reins.) But this is not going to be a Lakers-style speedy in-season search, this is going to be patient search for the right fit. They search likely would not even begin until the first of the year.
Still, we can save King some time — reportedly Phil Jackson and Stan Van Gundy are not interested.
The longtime agent for Phil Jackson, Todd Musburger, told NBA.com’s David Aldridge Thursday that Jackson is not interested in coaching the Brooklyn Nets. The Nets fired Avery Johnson Thursday morning.
“Phil has no interest in the Nets job at this time,” Musburger said via text.
When he left the Lakers the last time Jackson seemed worn down by the grind of coaching — the travel, the lack of sleep, the long hours. He was more interested in a management position. While he was interested in the Lakers offer to coach, that is a much more talented roster, one where players like Kobe Bryant know his system, and that is a franchise with which he is familiar. Very different animal than the Brooklyn.
Then there is this tweet Brian K. Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel, who texted with Stan Van Gundy on Thursday.
Stan Van Gundy has no interest in Brooklyn job
— Brian K. Schmitz (@MagicInsider) December 27, 2012
Of course, these are public denials, which are different than private denials once King actually makes a call. Still, these are two smart coaches looking for a good fit, and they see a flawed roster with an owner who demands winning (not to mention the New York media). With all that they may decide there are better things to do with their time.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12