Dec 27, 2012, 8:51 PM EDT
Pau Gasol, just back three games after sitting out eight due to tendonitis in his knees, now has another body wear-and-tear injury pop up.
Following an MRI, Gasol was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, tweets official Lakers.com reporter Mike Trudell. However, Gasol is listed as probable for the Lakers game Friday against Portland.
Plantar fasciitis is an irritation of the thick tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot that makes it painful to do things like run and jump. Or play basketball. It’s a fairly common issue for basketball players and it comes in degrees of severity.
While there are stretches and boots and socks and whatever else to help with plantar fasciitis, the only real cure is rest. Otherwise it can linger and worsen.
Gasol was shooting some threes against Denver, pretending to be a stretch four and trying to find his way in Mike D’Antoni’s offense. It’s been and up and down process, to be kind about it. But he is doing better at it than Dwight Howard lately.
We will see how the Lakers deal with Gasol and his latest malady. I’d suggest cutting back his minutes but that doesn’t seem to be Mike D’Antoni’s plan with any of his players.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9