Dec 27, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Raymond Felton’s play at the point — 15.8 points, 6.3 assists and controlling the tempo — may have been down lately but it remains a key reason the Knicks are 21-8 and near the top of the Eastern Conference.
However, for the next month or so they will have to find out what life without him is like.
X-rays have shown he has a fractured little finger on his shooting hand, an injury that could require surgery and he says he expects to miss more than a month. Here are the details, via Newsday.
Initially Felton described the injury as a sprained ligament, suffered when he and the Lakers’ Steve Nash were going for a ball on Tuesday.
But that proved to be overly optimistic. Felton was to return to New York Thursday to be evaluated by team doctors. He said surgery is a possibility. If that is the course of action, Felton said, there is no reason to believe it would end his season, but it could cost him four to six weeks.
It’s not good news for a Knicks team that has of late struggled from three and soon has to figure out how to integrate Amare Stoudemire back into the rotation. (Iman Shumpert will come back in a little while, too, but he will blend in more smoothly.)
No Felton is going to mean more minutes for Pablo Prigioni, the “rookie” from Argentina who at age 35 has spent so much time at the top of the European circuit it’s not fair to really call him a rookie. Jason Kidd, who has played a lot as the two guard, also will get run at the point now. That’s not exactly a young twosome, but with 15 guys on the roster don’t expect them to make a move to bring in someone (not that there are quality free agent point guards out there right now).
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27