John Wall says he expects to return to Wizards in January

Dec 27, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

John Wall — the former No. 1 overall pick and guy seen as the savior of the Washington Wizards — is targeting a January return. In part because his ego is wounded.

Wall has not set foot on the court yet this season due to a stress injury to his left patella, and without him the Wizards have gone a league worst 3-23. Their offense is non-existent without Wall running the show and pushing the pace at the point.

Wall was cleared by doctors to start “ramping up” activity a few weeks ago and he told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports the goal is to be back next month.

“My timetable is some time in January,” Wall told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night. “The way I am feeling with no pain, working out and doing it three [days straight] and it has no pain, I’m feeling good. I feel like I am taking the right steps and I haven’t had no pain the last couple of days after workouts.”

Wall says he will be back when he can run and cut with the speed he used to without pain. It’s just a matter of time to get there, a process without shortcuts.

Wall’s ego is part of what is fueling him. He used to be mentioned as one of the crop of great young point guards in the league, but after a sophomore campaign that showed little improvement, then this season and the injury, he has dropped off the radar. Ricky Rubio, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, even Jeremy Lin get mentioned as elite young point guards before Wall. He wants to change that.

“If you look at the list of the point guards of the future, I’m not up there,” Wall said. “That gives more motivation to me when I get back to show the NBA what I really have to give to the league. They will respect me again. …

“Everybody will see. I won’t do the talking. I will let my game do the talking.”

Another motivation — money. Wall is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer. For the No. 1 overall picks the two years before Wall — Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose — this was a no-brainer max extension for their teams. But Wall is a tougher call, with his pretty average play for a couple years followed by the injury — if he wants to really get paid this summer he’s going to have to show a lot the rest of this season. He is going to have to show how his game has grown.

We’ll see. Probably starting in January.

Latest Posts
  1. Dion Waiters explains tweet saying he wouldn’t accept bench role

Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT

2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day 2013 Cleveland Cavaliers Media Day

Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence

2. NBA considering charity All-Star game in South Africa

Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT

Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada

3. Report: Gregg Popovich had hip-replacement surgery

Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

2014 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason

4. Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold

Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Image (1) durant_usa_fun-thumb-250x159-20234.jpg for post 4140

“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant

5. Report: Magic signing Peyton Siva to unguaranteed contract

Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic

Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League

6. Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.

Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.

7. Report: Eric Bledsoe-Suns ‘relationship is on the express lane to being ruined’

Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Hornacek, Goran Dragic

Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents

8. Report: Mike Scott considering ‘lucrative’ offer to play in Russia

Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Indiana Pacers - Game Seven Getty Images

CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks

9. Mavericks sign Ivan Johnson

Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks Dallas Mavericks v Atlanta Hawks

Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league

10. Report: Timberwolves told Kevin Love to sit out the World Cup

Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now

11. Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable

Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Introduce Byron Scott Getty Images

Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference

12. Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy”

Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.

13. LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video)

Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

LeBron James LeBron James

Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?

14. Steve Nash: ‘I think this is my last season’

Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Steve Nash, Meta World Peace Steve Nash, Meta World Peace

Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement

15. PBT Extra: Is this the end of Donald Sterling as NBA owner?

Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.

16. Grizzlies name general manager Chris Wallace general manager

Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT

Yes, you read that headline correctly

17. Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on?

Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins AP

The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.

18. Report: Gary Payton assistant-coaching candidate with Lakers, Bucks

Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT

Gary Payton #20 Gary Payton #20

Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic

19. Kyrie Irving’s contract actually falls short of max

Jul 29, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

Irving wouldn’t get full 30 percent of adjusted salary cap by triggering Derrick Rose rule

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches