John Wall says he expects to return to Wizards in January

Dec 27, 2012, 8:40 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

John Wall — the former No. 1 overall pick and guy seen as the savior of the Washington Wizards — is targeting a January return. In part because his ego is wounded.

Wall has not set foot on the court yet this season due to a stress injury to his left patella, and without him the Wizards have gone a league worst 3-23. Their offense is non-existent without Wall running the show and pushing the pace at the point.

Wall was cleared by doctors to start “ramping up” activity a few weeks ago and he told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports the goal is to be back next month.

“My timetable is some time in January,” Wall told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night. “The way I am feeling with no pain, working out and doing it three [days straight] and it has no pain, I’m feeling good. I feel like I am taking the right steps and I haven’t had no pain the last couple of days after workouts.”

Wall says he will be back when he can run and cut with the speed he used to without pain. It’s just a matter of time to get there, a process without shortcuts.

Wall’s ego is part of what is fueling him. He used to be mentioned as one of the crop of great young point guards in the league, but after a sophomore campaign that showed little improvement, then this season and the injury, he has dropped off the radar. Ricky Rubio, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, even Jeremy Lin get mentioned as elite young point guards before Wall. He wants to change that.

“If you look at the list of the point guards of the future, I’m not up there,” Wall said. “That gives more motivation to me when I get back to show the NBA what I really have to give to the league. They will respect me again. …

“Everybody will see. I won’t do the talking. I will let my game do the talking.”

Another motivation — money. Wall is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer. For the No. 1 overall picks the two years before Wall — Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose — this was a no-brainer max extension for their teams. But Wall is a tougher call, with his pretty average play for a couple years followed by the injury — if he wants to really get paid this summer he’s going to have to show a lot the rest of this season. He is going to have to show how his game has grown.

We’ll see. Probably starting in January.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

2. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

3. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

4. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

5. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

6. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

7. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

8. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2