Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
“I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!”
—Captain Renault, “Casablanca”
Deron Williams sat out the Nets game Wednesday due to a sore wrist, an injury he had played through much of the season. That came after Williams saying publicly how much he liked the old “flex” offense Jerry Sloan used to run in Utah.
Read into all of that what you will.
“I was surprised,” Williams said in a telephone interview with Daily News. “I never had any conversation with (GM) Billy King about not liking coach, nothing about coach Johnson. Avery was a big reason I came back, because him and Billy. So I was surprised.
“We’ve never had an argument, we’ve never had a fight, any disagreements, anything. So, I think it was more kind of what happened in Utah, people still saying I got coach Sloan fired even though he resigned and that’s going to stick with me for a while.”
Williams is right — he came back to the Nets when he had other teams interested last summer, so there couldn’t have been any serious issues. But Williams play this season and the Nets team play this season suggested to Nets management and ownership that Johnson had lost Williams.
And Johnson told Stefen Bondy of the Daily News (on Sulia) that something seemed amiss to him.
“Seasons have a way of changing. And this was a bad patch, a bad spot on the season. And basically ownership and management said that. If that was the case, I thought we should just ride it out. But obviously something changed and ownership gets a lot of feedback from players. Maybe the players weren’t happy with the direction we were going. And maybe collectively they probably all decided there needed to be a change.”
Williams says that kind of thing never happened. At his press conference, GM Billy King said Williams was not involved in this the decision, it was by him and owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
Do teams make these kind of moves without some input from their franchise player?
You can decide for yourself. But it seems unlikely to me.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 11
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 23
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23