Dec 26, 2012, 8:57 PM EST
The team listed “personal reasons” for Gay’s absence, with no additional information being conveyed at the time.
Gay started the Grizzlies last game against the Rockets before the team had a few days off over Christmas. He scored just six points in 29 minutes during his team’s lopsided 121-96 loss at the hands of the Rockets.
Gay is the Grizzlies’ leading scorer, averaging 18.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 2.6 assists while playing 36.4 minutes per game.
Quincy Pondexter got the start in Gay’s absence.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30