Dec 26, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
With just over five minutes remaining in the third quarter in Wednesday’s game between the Lakers and the Nuggets, Kenneth Faried received a pass from Ty Lawson on a screen and roll play, and went down the lane in an attempt to score.
Dwight Howard was there waiting for him, and opted for the hard foul on Faried rather than playing legitimate defense, or attempting to get in position to block the shot.
The problem for Howard was, he went straight for Faried’s face instead of making a play on the ball, and that’s where the contact was made that sent the Nuggets’ most active big man crashing to the floor.
The play was reviewed by the officials, and they determined it was a category two flagrant foul, one that comes with it an automatic ejection.
Faried was giving the Lakers fits, and had 19 points and 13 rebounds — eight offensive — in his first 26 minutes of action.
Howard may have been trying to put a stop to that, but the method he chose was a poor one, and now he’ll await word from the league offense to see if additional penalties will be assessed for his actions in the form of a fine or suspension.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional