Dec 26, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
The team’s suspension was ended but that apparently doesn’t mean DeMarcus Cousins is back with the Kings.
Cousins practiced with the team on Monday but is not with the team now in Portland for a Wednesday night game, tweets Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee. (Tyreke Evans is out as well as he recovers from a sore left knee.)
Why? It’s simply coach Keith Smart’s call and he said that Cousins was clear to practice but that was different than playing in a game. Draw your own conclusions. Cousins apparently had a few words with an assistant coach during a Christmas Eve practice but it didn’t appear to be major. This could still be residual from the last argument at half time, a profanity-laced tirade that got Cousins suspended by the team.
The Kings won their one game so far without Cousins, a 108-96 win over Portland.
As has been noted before, Smart essentially got this job because he had a good relationship with Cousins, a guy the Kings think could be a franchise player. Other teams agree he has the talent but few are interested in doing a fair trade for him (if any at all) because of concerns about his behavior and how he’ll fit in the locker room.
Cousins switched agents as well to Dan Fegan. Who was the guy who brought us the Dwightmare in Orlando. So, expect more fireworks down the line.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10