Carmelo Anthony, Raymond Felton out for Knicks Wednesday

Dec 26, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT

Knicks' Carmelo Anthony reacts after teammate Marcus Camby fell into him, after going to the basket against the Los Angeles Lakers during the first half of their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles

Carmelo Anthony was brilliant in the Knicks 100-94 loss to the Lakers on Wednesday, pouring in 34 points, 24 of which came in the second half.

Anthony played over 43 minutes and physically battled Metta World peace for many of them, and that doesn’t come without taking its toll.

Anthony will be out for Wednesday night’s contest in Phoenix against the Suns due to a sore left knee, one that became that way after teammate Marcus Camby rolled into it on Tuesday.

“I’m a little sore,” Anthony said in Staples Center locker room afterward. “A little sore, a little beat up. But I’ll be fine for tomorrow against Phoenix.”

Obviously, things changed overnight. Anthony also said he “kind of hyperextended” the knee, but the official word right now is that he’s only being held out due to soreness.

Raymond Felton is also out Wednesday, after suffering a sprained pinky on his shooting hand that also occurred Tuesday. The New York Daily News reports that Felton said if the pain was similar to what he was feeling in the fourth quarter, he’d be forced to sit out.

“Right now it hurts like hell. Knowing me, I won’t sit out the game for any reason, (But) if it bothers me the way it did in the fourth quarter where I couldn’t shoot the ball like I wanted to – or pass the ball – I am not going to play on it.”

Jason Kidd is likely to start in Felton’s place.

1. connaniii - Dec 26, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I saw the play it’s definitely a hyperextended knee!

• moseskkim - Dec 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Cool!!

2. garryfish - Dec 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM

If the Knicks win tonight game I ill be shocked

3. jimeejohnson - Dec 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Melo was shooting the lights outta the Staples Center before he got hurt. Anthony is such a pure shooter he doesn’t need the home court advantage. J.R. Smith is doing all he can, so for the Knicks to win they must get more out of the rest of the team. Knicks may need a premier guard like Rondo or even the aging but still effective Steve Nash in order to get over the 1st round playoff elimination hump.

4. dukepatrol - Dec 26, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Knicks have Amare and Schumpert coming back. Over the long haul That will help alot

5. connorbcox - Dec 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I do recognize you said “may”, but its hard to see the Knicks falling out of the playoffs in the first round at this rate. They still have Stoudemire returning in the near future.

6. eflem80 - Dec 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM