Dec 25, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
LOS ANGELES — Marcus Camby will return to the Knicks lineup against the Lakers, head coach Mike Woodson confirmed to reporters outside the New York locker room a little more than an hour before tip-off.
“We’re going to put him in there,” Woodson said. “We’re going to need him based on the bigs that they have up front, so he will play.”
Camby has missed the last 14 games due to plantar fasciitis in his left foot.
Woodson said he’s unsure what to expect from Camby in terms of how many minutes he can go, or exactly what level of production he’ll be getting from his veteran big man given his extended absence.
“I don’t know, I mean, I’ve got to gauge it as we go along,” he said. “It’s not like I can sit here and say he’s going to play 30 minutes. I’d be lying when I say that, because he just hasn’t had enough court time yet. So we’ll gauge it as we go along.”
Woodson was pressed further to see if he thought he’d get a sustained stretch out of Camby, but he refused to speculate.
“I really don’t know, honest to God I don’t,” he said. “Because he just hasn’t had a chance to practice. We’ll put him out there and just see how it goes. Hell, he might get out there and have a ell of a game for us, so that’s what I’m expecting. We’ll see.”
Camby hasn’t played much at all for the Knicks this season, appearing in just six games and playing a total of 42 minutes. Now in his 19th season, Camby has career averages of 9.7 points, 9.9 rebounds, and 2.4 blocked shots per game.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)