Dec 25, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
LOS ANGELES — Marcus Camby will return to the Knicks lineup against the Lakers, head coach Mike Woodson confirmed to reporters outside the New York locker room a little more than an hour before tip-off.
“We’re going to put him in there,” Woodson said. “We’re going to need him based on the bigs that they have up front, so he will play.”
Camby has missed the last 14 games due to plantar fasciitis in his left foot.
Woodson said he’s unsure what to expect from Camby in terms of how many minutes he can go, or exactly what level of production he’ll be getting from his veteran big man given his extended absence.
“I don’t know, I mean, I’ve got to gauge it as we go along,” he said. “It’s not like I can sit here and say he’s going to play 30 minutes. I’d be lying when I say that, because he just hasn’t had enough court time yet. So we’ll gauge it as we go along.”
Woodson was pressed further to see if he thought he’d get a sustained stretch out of Camby, but he refused to speculate.
“I really don’t know, honest to God I don’t,” he said. “Because he just hasn’t had a chance to practice. We’ll put him out there and just see how it goes. Hell, he might get out there and have a ell of a game for us, so that’s what I’m expecting. We’ll see.”
Camby hasn’t played much at all for the Knicks this season, appearing in just six games and playing a total of 42 minutes. Now in his 19th season, Camby has career averages of 9.7 points, 9.9 rebounds, and 2.4 blocked shots per game.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11