Dec 25, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
Boston should be better than a .500 team, which is how they came into Christmas Day. We keep expecting them to have a nice easy win, a jumpstart to start finding their groove. They need to find a team that would roll over and pretty much die for them.
Enter the Nets on Christmas.
How ugly were the Nets? Their CEO Brett Yormark tweeted after the game: “Nets fans deserved better today. The entire organization needs to work harder to find the solution. We will get there.”
The struggling Nets offense shot 40.6 percent for the game and had an offensive rating of 88.6 points per 100 possessions. Combine that with Boston getting good production off the bench from Jared Sullinger (16 points) and Jeff Green (15) and you get an easy 93-76 Celtics win.
If you want to know about this game, it essentially ended in the second quarter when Boston outscored Brooklyn 34-18. The Nets shot 36.8 percent for the quarter as they went with a smaller lineup. The Celtics picked up their defense, then Boston turned the stops into some easy buckets going the other way in transition. Jason Terry had 8 points in the quarter and was +16 in the 12 minutes to help push the win.
That quarter just seemed to deflate the Nets, which has happened a lot lately. In the second half, Gerald Wallace played hard and killed it, the rest of the Nets went through the motions. For the game Brook Lopez shot 5-of-12, Joe Johnson 4-of-14 and Andray Blatche 3-of-9. Deron Williams had 10 points and 6 assists, Rajon Rondo had 19.
The Nets have lost four of their last five and 9 of their last 12.
But as bad as the Nets were, don’t let this take away from a quality win for the Celtics. They came out and played hard, played smart and played like a team starting to figure it out. Maybe they will, remember they started last season 15-17 before flipping the switch. There are still questions about consistency of the bench play and what happens to their defense when Kevin Garnett sits, but they needed a few nice wins to get a flow going.
This could be one. They found a perfect doormat to get healthy against.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11